Installing shutters on Board and batten siding

Old 11-07-18, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing shutters on Board and batten siding

I just had a professional do a repaint of my entire house and the wood shutters were no good so I decided to order new vinyl ones. The original shutters were 18" wide which went perfectly from batten to batten so they were easily installed. I wanted to go back with a 15" wide shutter because I liked the way it looked better and they are standard, the 18" wide ones cost a lot more.
My question is this. The new shutters are hollow back raised panel and come with black colored spikes that you drill a hole and push them through the shutter and into it to fasten them to the wall. The new shutters come 3" short of making it across to the next batten on each side so I need help in coming up with a strategy to mount them on the side away from the one beside the window. Otherwise they are just hanging in the air on one side. I have seen where some of my neighbors with the same siding went back with less wide shutters as well but cannot see how they mounted them
Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-18, 07:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
You'd add a strip of wood same thickness as the battens behind the shutter where it mounts.