Attaching outdoor decorations to new steel siding

Old 11-26-18, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Attaching outdoor decorations to new steel siding

With it being the holiday season, I'm ready to hang up my wreath. Last year it wasn't any problem....just hung it on a nail that was put into our old wood siding!
But this year we had new steel siding put on our house and garage and really don't want to be putting any holes into it! Does anyone have any suggestions on how people hang up outdoor decor on their steel siding?
If drilling a hole in the siding is the only option, would caulking it be enough to prevent any water from leaking in behind the siding? I had thought about using those "Command strips", but don't know that they could be used in outdoor conditions or if they would even stick? (the siding is textured)
Still haven't put up any house number yet either, same reason.....don't want putting holes in the siding!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-18, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
What about using a magnet?

Old 11-27-18, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! Gonna give that a try!

Old 11-27-18, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
Magnets should work. Amazon and many other places sell strong magnets with screw in hooks. We take them on cruises to stick on the walls to hang jackets and hats.

Old 07-15-19, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to say "thanks" for the magnet suggestion! It certainly turned out to be a better option than I thought! I used it to display not only my holiday wreath, but several decorations that would correspond with the holidays (Valentine's, Easter, July 4th, etc.) and now just for a summer look.
Using magnets certainly gave me the option to hang where ever I needed and didn't have to worry about putting in many holes in the siding! :-)

Attached Images  
Shadeladie voted this post useful.
Old 07-15-19, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
It would be recommended to remove the magnets occasionally and clean under them.
Them will rust and they will become permanently attached if not cleaned.

Old 07-16-19, 06:28 AM
Thanks for that suggestion to clean them. I do change out the magnets with each new decoration I put up (so the same ones aren't being used for an extended period of time). But will definitely keep my eye open to watch for rust!