Stucco Removal Causing Interior Wall Damage

Old 12-11-18, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco Removal Causing Interior Wall Damage

Does exterior stucco removal need to cause interior wall cracking? This just happened in a number of places in our house, (some major drywall damage, so much so that we’re concerned our upper kitchen cabinets may not be secure.) I wish there was an option to show a picture...(but I only see link options).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-18, 02:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Removing stucco is more apt to damage plaster than drywall. Why was the stucco removed? is there water damage? pics would help us help you - https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 12-12-18, 04:23 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
In order for the wall’s interior covering to crack when removing the wall’s exterior stucco, the stucco removal process must also be moving the wall frame and/or the wall’s exterior sheating. The stucco install process requires adding some type of metal lattice to the wall’s exterior sheating for the stucco to adhere to. If the metal lattice pieces are large enough, the stucco/lattice combination may generate enough force to rack the wall causing the interior drywall to crack. I would suggest taking a circular saw with a carbide blade and cutting the stucco wall into a 4 ft x 4ft (or2 ft x2 ft) grid to reduce the size of the pieces for removal. Set the blade depth to just touch the wall’s outer sheathing. Good luck.