Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Cedar wall shakes nailed into house wrap plywood sheathing.

Old 12-18-18, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm in the Houston area and I had a question about cedar wall shake installation. I've seen lots of articles and pictures were the walls consist of 2x4 frame, plywood sheathing, tar paper, and then the cedar shakes are nailed to that. My question is should we be worried about all the nails penetrating the tar paper into the sheathing essentially creating a million holes in the wall. Or am I over thinking this and this isn't even an issue? And shouldn't there be a "rainscreen" a gap between the shakes and the tar paper rather than the shakes nailed directly to the tar paper into the sheathing? I know lots of people use furring strips that the shakes are attached to or some kind of rainscreen membrane between the shakes and house wrap/tar paper.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-18, 04:12 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
If the nail heads are covered by the course above and the gaps between shingles are staggered, the possibility of water penetration is minimal. The top of the top row of shingles should be sealed with a drip edge or caulking. The end shingles of of each course should be caulked to the trim or sheathing.