Removing in-wall A/C and permanently sealing

Old 03-04-19, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing in-wall A/C and permanently sealing

Looking to remove an in wall ac unit and have the whole permanently sealed. The exterior siding is vinyl. And interior is Sheetrock. I inquired the cost to get this done and was quoted at $1350 for just the outside portion. This seems excessive to me, so I plan to do it myself. Can anyone advise on the best materials and any advice in getting it done. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-19, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
That is definitely a DIY project and for a whole lot less then you were quoted. The biggest problem is matching the outside finish. You said it's vinyl siding. Do you have spare pieces ?

Old 03-04-19, 02:53 PM
I actually have a ton of spare siding that matches the existing I found in my garage that can cover the hole. Thatís definitely not an issue. Iíve just never done exterior sealing and siding before.

Old 03-04-19, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 287 Votes on 262 Posts
When you remove the AC box you will see what the wall construction is... 2x4 or 2x6, etc. Could be cement for all we know. Let's assume it's 2x4.

You would install a 2x4 perimeter around the opening. Cut them so they will fit snug. When you are ready to install them, run a bead of caulk behind the 2x4 to air seal the framing. Attach each piece with maybe 4 construction screws, such as T25 Torx #9x3. Once the perimeter is up, add a vertical stud wherever it is needed. You generally want to find the stud above and below the opening and line it up with that, but if you can't find it, anywhere is fine.

On the outside, you will examine the thickness of the sheathing... let's say it's 1/2" plywood. So you would get a 2x4 or 4x4 piece of plywood and cut it to fit on the outside. It gets fastened to the 2x4 perimeter that you just installed. Again, you could caulk behind it to air seal it before you attach it with nails or screws.

Having some extra siding is half the battle. You will also need a Malco Sideswiper, a tool that zips and unzips the siding. You will unzip the siding above the AC in order to remove the siding and j-channel that is around the AC.

Then you will determine if you need to furr out your 1/2" plywood... because siding often has underlayment behind it, or a layer of old siding behind it. You will need to add another layer on top of the 1/2" plywood to match whatever thickness is behind the siding. And add a piece of housewrap or felt to make it waterproof. (Top edge of WRB gets tucked behind existing so it doesn't leak when it rains.) Then siding goes on. And the piece you unzipped that has been hanging loose above the AC gets zipped back up again once your last piece is on.

On the inside you will insulate the cavities, and then drywall. Taping and finishing the joints before sanding, priming and painting.

Old 03-04-19, 04:15 PM
Thanks XSleeper for spelling that all out. i'm familiar with everything except for the following:

Having some extra siding is half the battle. You will also need a Malco Sideswiper, a tool that zips and unzips the siding. You will unzip the siding above the AC in order to remove the siding and j-channel that is around the AC.

Then you will determine if you need to furr out your 1/2" plywood... because siding often has underlayment behind it, or a layer of old siding behind it. You will need to add another layer on top of the 1/2" plywood to match whatever thickness is behind the siding. And add a piece of housewrap or felt to make it waterproof. (Top edge of WRB gets tucked behind existing so it doesn't leak when it rains.) Then siding goes on. And the piece you unzipped that has been hanging loose above the AC gets zipped back up again once your last piece is on.
been looking for some youtube videos of how to accomplish this portion.

Old 03-04-19, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 287 Votes on 262 Posts
You will find dozens of videos by just typing in Malco sideswiper into a YouTube search.

Can't tell you exactly what you will find behind the siding.