Dents in aluminum siding

Old 03-04-19, 04:34 PM
Dents in aluminum siding

I have some dents in aluminum siding between garage doors. I would like to repaint entire house, but want to fix these dents first. Some background: garage doors are being replaced, and as part of that the center column between doors is being rebuilt (new studs new trim, due to rot on bottoms). So, I imagine this siding will be removed in this process. Is it possible to hammer them flat, or replace with new (even if not color matched since we will be painting)? I would really like to hire someone to do this but most contractors want to reside the whole house in vinyl. I like the aluminum and it is in good shape on rest of house.
Thanks,

Name:  al1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  al2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  47.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-04-19 at 06:04 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
No, you can't just pound the dents out. If you want to replace it, that is an option, but you will not probably find that matching color or texture... so its a good thing you will be painting it. Search for "double 4 aluminum siding." And this time use j-channel around the garage door trim. The edges of aluminum siding doesn't need to be caulked... it sits loosely in the j-channel.

Old 03-05-19, 02:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you can probably make those dented pieces regain most of their original shape the 'texture' makes it impossible to get them back to an undamaged shape.

I don't know how old your siding is or what condition it's in but old aluminum siding oxidizes [gets chalky] and new paint won't adhere long term to chalk. The chalk needs to be washed off first. When it isn't feasible to remove all the chalk it's best to add Flood's EmulsaBond to the first coat of latex paint. Done right the paint on aluminum siding can last a long time.

Old 03-10-19, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the inputs.
Regarding prep/cleaning of siding prior to paint:
Every written description I have seen emphasizes the importance of not spraying power wash up under horizontal siding. Apparently, spraying down onto work is needed to prevent water from being injected under siding.
However, every video I has watched of a two story house being power washed either shows work at ground level only, or shows spraying from the ground up to the second floor siding. The commentator in one video actually admonishes viewer to "spray downward on work", demonstrating on siding at waist level, then points to side of two story house and says " bet you can do the side of this house in two hours" and no ladders in sight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoFXHb2wRXY

What gives?

Old 03-10-19, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Best thing to do is rent a Genie articulating man lift.

Old 03-11-19, 02:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While many wash the siding from below that is not the correct way! While there should be a vapor barrier or tar paper behind the siding to stop water infiltration it's a lot safer to never force water where it doesn't belong. It's also important to limit pressure washing next to windows and doors. I've always used ladders that I already have although a genie lift would be handier if the ground/landscaping permits.