Exterior door trim nail holes

Old 03-21-19, 07:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior door trim nail holes

I recently had a new door installed. The trim surrounding the door has very small nail holes from attaching the trim. I was wondering what I should use, if anything, to fill those tiny holes. Would I use caulk? Something else? I'm asking because if possible I would like to make the holes less sightly as well as protect them from any water getting into them and affecting the nails that are inside. The nail holes are very small. Equivalent to finishing nail size. The trim is white, so I would want to fill the holes with a white material that does not need to be painted

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-19, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
Is the trim wood or vinyl? Painted? Or prefinished white?

Old 03-21-19, 08:58 PM
It's a white vinyl (not sure if it's actually vinyl or another material). Not wood. Came white. Not painted.

Old 03-22-19, 01:20 AM
Group Moderator
You could squirt a little caulk in them. Best to use OSI Quad (white) and then take a rag and paint thinner and smooth it out until it's flush.

Old 03-22-19, 01:36 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Personally I hate caulk used for filling nails, it shrinks when it dries so there is a little dent or worse a big glob.

Every nail hole in every piece of trim in our house was done that way and it took weeks of work to sand the crud off an fill properly.

Outside I would use a little dab of automotive bondo to fill, it's a catalyzed mix so it won't shrink and will be compatible with your composite trim!

Old 03-22-19, 10:11 AM
Will Bondo hold up to rain and weather as is? (Not painted over)

Old 03-22-19, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
I would think that bondo would pop loose over vinyl when the vinyl expands/contracts with temp changes. With vinyl I'd use caulking making sure I carefully wiped off all of the excess. If it's PVC and going to be painted I'd use painter's putty.

Old 03-22-19, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Sure if it's going to be painted, use painters putty. My guess is that since it's white he's not wanting to paint it. Which is why 001 white Quad, wiping it with paint thinner will match the best and not end up being a dirty spot within a week.

Old 03-22-19, 12:43 PM
Thank you everyone. I think I'm going to try a white silicone caulk since the holes are so small. From what I read, the quad is really good but also very difficult to apply to something that's small and can be difficult to remove. My main concern is just protecting the nails that are underneath from any water so they don't rust eventually.

Old 03-22-19, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take a rag wet/damp with mineral spirits and carefully remove all the silicone from around the nail hole, that will insure a neat job. If you leave a bunch of excess it will attract dirt and become unsightly.

I don't recall OSI Quad being difficult to use - clean up would be the same.

Old 03-22-19, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Silicone attracts dirt. Guess I'm wasting my breath.

Old 03-22-19, 05:44 PM
Not wasting your breath. Just saying I read some negative things about the product you recommend.

Old 04-09-19, 02:42 PM
I purchased Quad Max after reading many positive reviews and Quad being recommended here. I like that it won't shrink, resists UV Ray's and dirt. However, when I looked at their website, Quad specifically says "do not use to fill nail holes". I haven't started yet and I am wondering why they would say that. Any idea? Should I still move ahead with it? Thanks again.

Old 04-09-19, 04:25 PM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I would think that bondo would pop loose over vinyl when the vinyl expands/contracts
Have never seen it "pop off" a car, except for those rare occasions when someone has attempted to form a fender using 5 gallons of bondo!

Old 04-13-19, 02:27 PM
New window and door nail holes

I recently had new windows and a door put in. The exterior trim has nail holes (finishing nail size) all around them. My concern is moisture getting into those holes and causing the nails to rust. In another thread, someone recommended OSI because it resists UV rays and does not attract dirt. However, when I went on the website for The OSI Max that I purchased, it says very specifically not to do used to fill nail holes. I'm wondering why it would say that and if I should proceed to use it? Also, it is already white, it is not wood, and I don't plan on painting it.

Old 04-13-19, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Because anytime you use caulking to fill nail holes, it will shrink back slightly and will leave a dimple. I would use it, worst case you might need to fill them twice.

Old 04-14-19, 02:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the trim gets painted I always use painter's putty for the nail holes. When caulking nail holes you want to keep a rag damp with the appropriate thinner handy so you can cleanly remove any excess caulk from around the hole.

Old 04-14-19, 07:44 AM
Thanks. I should have had them do it when they did the repairs....