Painting vinyl siding

Old 04-03-19, 08:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting vinyl siding

Good morning!
I have been doing some research on painting vinyl siding, and see that sherwin Williams offers vinyl safe paint that can go over any existing color light or dark. Since my existing vinyl siding is approximately 25 years old, I figured I'd give it a shot and try painting it rather than spend thousands replacing it right now. I plan to go with a different color, just not sure what would match the front brick.
My question is:

Can I paint the siding using rollers/brushes successfully or is having the paint sprayed on the only option I should consider?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-19, 08:52 AM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
I have never painted siding but a few houses ago I changed the color of some vinyl shutters.

At the time the the process was to use a special "hot" PVC primer which would then accept the exterior paint.

We were by the old house recently and at least from the street the shutters didn't look like anything was peeling and that color change was probably 20+ years ago.

Paints change but at least there is one option that seems to have worked.

Like any paint brushes and rollers should work!

Old 04-03-19, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
I have only painted vinyl shutters that were previously painted at the factory. It works reasonably well. A big part is properly cleaning the surface which with all the nooks and crannies almost requires a thorough pressure washing. On your house you could certainly try a brush and roller. Your siding profile is pretty plain so it should be easy to paint. And, as painting plastic can be a bit hit or miss somewhere in the back of my mind I'd be working on a plan B in case the paint doesn't stick well or you don't like it for some reason.

Old 04-03-19, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
Personally I'd paint the brick and leave the siding. I've always thought that color of brick is hideous! Vinyl needs to expand and contract, so while you "can" paint it, the paint will tend to glue the pieces together making it more likely to buckle and wave. Siding that old is also likely very chalky, which will affect the adhesion of your paint.

An ugly house in town had that color of brick and they painted the brick and resided and it looks like a brand new place now.

Old 04-03-19, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
I've painted quite a few vinyl sided houses. I prefer spray both because it looks factory and you can apply a thinner coat which helps to prevent the issue X mentioned. It is important that the siding be clean first.