Dryer vent trimming

Old 04-06-19, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer vent trimming

Hey everybody! Was hoping just to get some thoughts on this. So whoever built the home we currently live in isnít the best for sure. Anyway the dryer vent hood outside was falling apart so I figured no big deal Iíll just replace it. Long story short after removing what was rigged up there I have an opening in the siding that is too big. What would you suggest I do to fill in the gaps so the wood isnít exposed?

i was thinking just putting channel around it again and silicone the joints and then get spray foam sealant to go around the hood and fill in the gaps between the hood and the siding.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-19, 03:40 PM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
Vinyl siding? Can't see what you see without a picture, but is the opening in the siding somewhat square? And are you imagining that it should be a round hole the size of your duct? If that's the case, you probably just need a vinyl siding vent that includes a perimeter channel that he siding tucks into.

Old 04-06-19, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
First, there are many types of dryer vents. Some are intended specifically for vinyl siding. There is no standardized size so some are larger than others.

Old 04-06-19, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Please include a picture and maybe hold a tape measure in the picture too.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...your-post.html

I guarantee that spray foam should not be part of the solution unless you are saying the hole through the house for the duct is that sloppy.

Old 04-06-19, 05:27 PM
Sorry guys was having a hard time earlier posting pictures. But yes vinyl siding. The original vent hood was also to small for this opening but they put j channel around it and went crazy with caulk

Here is what was left when I cut out the caulk. I put this hood on.

Name:  dv1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  dv2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  18.7 KB

Name:  dv3.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  dv4.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  24.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-06-19 at 09:02 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 04-06-19, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
That dryer vent is not made for vinyl siding. This one is.

You remove the siding with a Malco Sideswiper, nail the dryer vent to the house, then put the vinyl siding back on and snap on the trim ring to cover up the edge of the siding.

Your siding should have a WRB (housewrap) behind it, which yours clearly does not have.

Old 04-06-19, 05:49 PM
Yup no housewrap either

So i need to remove those couple pieces of siding so I can nail that vent to the house and then snap the siding back on and then snap the trim ring on. Will I need to cut the siding to make the ring fit or will I probably need to get new siding?

Old 04-06-19, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
I don't know, I'm not there to measure it. I think the one i the link is for a 7 x 8 hole. Others take a different sized hole... 7.5 x 8.5. Another is 6 3/4 x 6 3/4. All depends which one you buy and what size your hole is. There are many different brands and sizes, but you need one that has the trim ring for vinyl.

When you have the siding off, put a piece of housewrap or tar paper or a piece of flashing on the wall to protect it from leaks. Because water leaks in behind the ring. The WRB behind vinyl siding is what protects against leaks and caulk is not necessary.