Repairing bottom edge of stucco

Old 04-18-19, 03:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing bottom edge of stucco

I'm working on a 100 year old house and just cleared away most of the dirt that had built up in the yard and was creating some drainage issues for the foundation (it's a poured raised wall foundation).

The second pic is a close-up view of the big missing piece on the right in the first picture. There doesn't appear to be an existing flange at the bottom of the stucco. The line that looks like a crack that run along underneath the metal conduit is actually where the sill plate is located.

I've never worked with stucco before. How should I go about repairing this all around the house?

Name:  s1.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  137.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-18-19 at 07:36 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-19, 02:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 93 Posts
I'd clean it up, remove any loose stucco and then use mortar or stucco mix to make the repairs. The hardest part will be matching the existing texture. I think that texture is achieved with a wood float but a sponge might also work.

Old 04-23-19, 05:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Years ago we did not use weep screeds we just stuccoed right down to or below the grade. Attack this vigorously with a floor scraper or hammer and wide chisel. Where the stucco is good you won't hurt it and that should be enough to get off what should come off. Clean it with a mild muriatic acid solution 10 - 20 parts water to one part acid. you should see it foam a little but not smoke. I like to wet the wall first then acid wash then rinse thoroughly and rinse again or you can pressure wash.
Then mix mortar mix and spread it on and screed it off at the existing and straighten it as well as you can with a 4' or so 1 X 4 and float it with a red sponge float. That might give you a close enough texture but you might want something a little coarser. For that you can use a dash brush but if you have this all the way around the house you might like a hopper gun better. Unfortunately, you will probably get a crack at the line of the sill plate again. The texture should camouflage it.