Fanfold or tyvek

Old 04-25-19, 03:25 PM
Fanfold or tyvek

I purchased a home a few years ago, and after developing a leak, realized there is no water barrier under our siding, just plywood (the home is only 10 years old). We are getting quotes on ripping off our current siding, wrapping the house and putting up new siding. One of the contractors said he doesn't use Tyvek because its crap and wants to use fanfold instead. My question is, what are the advantages and disadvantages to using that as opposed to Tyvek? From what I've read the R value isn't really that great and if you dont put on a high quality, closed cell board, it can absorb water like a sponge. My home has the cellulose sprayed in insulation that is glued together (looks like a concrete block). I'm also concerned about fan fold not being breathable to allow any moisture out. I live in Central IL, hot summers and cold winters. Any info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-19, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Use Tyvek. Fanfold is breathable and it has lots of seams... but it relies on tape to keep water out... if they even use tape. And if they do, it won't stick for long. Fanfold is the poorest wrb known to man.

Amazing you had no housewrap... it's been code to have a wrb behind siding for 15+ yrs.

Old 04-25-19, 03:52 PM
Tell me about it. Builder filed for Bankruptcy so can't go back onto him and apparently the village we live in has wiped their hands clean of it saying its not their fault, even though they didn't catch it during the final building inspection.

Old 04-25-19, 04:14 PM
Tyvek and cross that contractor off of your list.

Bud

Old 04-25-19, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Guess I didn't state the advantage to fanfold. It's main purpose is not to insulate, but to give vinyl siding installers a flat surface to install their siding on, such as when the fanfold is applied over old cedar clapboard (lap siding) or similar surfaces, and also to act as a bit of a cushion. Some people say vinyl siding will rattle in the wind without it. I think that's pure bs but you can't argue with people who believe it. Could be true in some cases but it could also mean the siding was installed way too loose in the first place if it flops in the wind.

As an underlayment, fanfold is fine. I have used it many times and have nothing against it, but imo, it should not be used as your only wrb.