Cover (not caulk) siding skirt gaps

Old 05-28-19, 04:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cover (not caulk) siding skirt gaps

New construction home with vinyl siding and what looks like exterior grade MDF type skirting along the bottom. Butt joints have already gapped as material has changed dimensional length. I'd hate to caulk the gaps which are about 3/8" now, thinking that would end up being an annual "to do".
I'm thinking about covering with narrow strip of painted flashing anchored to just one side of the skirting gap so that any future changes in length are covered and gaps are still protected from rain water.

Any one have suggestions on how to reach a permanent solution?

Thanks
L

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-19, 04:52 PM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Sorry, I'm not getting the description, post a picture?

Old 05-29-19, 02:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A pic or two would help us better understand what you have allowing us to give better suggestions.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 05-31-19, 10:26 AM
Siding Skirt Gap

Here's what I'm trying to cover. I'm thinking about a 1 1/2" piece of flashing tin, painted white, slid under the top edge plastic and folded under the bottom of edge of the skirt board. Tack it to one side with some small brads. This would cover the gap, blend in reasonably well and allow for future movement of the material??

Attached Images  
Old 05-31-19, 11:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As a painter I'd caulk it as part of the paint prep but a strip of metal would be a more permanent fix.
Something like this would be nice if you can find it in the right length or maybe trim it to fit.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/7-16-in-...0060/202528792

Old 05-31-19, 11:42 AM
That's what I'm looking for. Unfortunately the skirting is 3/4" Thick 9" high. I think I'd have an easier time of fabricating something than trying to modify the ready made. Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely in the right ball park.

Last edited by Laerro; 05-31-19 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-31-19, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 163 Votes on 153 Posts
Since I have a metal brake, I would probably make my own tee moulding out of white trim coil. Double hem the sides, with a 5/8" hemmed tee in back. Total width about 1 3/8". Caulk behind it (one side only) with silicone (so nothing squishes out)... tape it on for 24 hrs.

I'd like to know what brand name that trim is so I can avoid using it... nothing exterior that i want to use should shrink that much!

Old 06-01-19, 02:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just assumed it was a poor fit from the git go, I wouldn't expect anything but fresh cut sawmill lumber to shrink that much and even it is more prone to shrink in width than length.

Old 06-01-19, 03:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 163 Votes on 153 Posts
That would be true if it was solid wood. But other man made products (vinyl, mdf, oriented strand) are not that stable. You can see where it was already caulked and the gap has now doubled in size.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-04-19, 05:36 AM
All good comments guys, thanks. I'm going to let the builder have his paint and trim guy fill with backer rod and caulk this time around. Wait and see if any more longitudinal change occurs over time. This is the western exposure of the house so I'm guessing the sun baked out any moisture in the product effecting length. This will buy me some time on finding a good material I can fabricate covering strips with, I don't have a metal brake, but, might be able to find a local ductwork or tin shop that can fabricate to my specs.

Old 06-04-19, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Long before I made myself a small brake, I used to use lumber and clamps to bend metal - where there is a will, there is a way