Installing 6 in. wall vent on existing siding

Old 06-14-19, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing 6 in. wall vent on existing siding

Hi,
I'm trying to install 6 in. wall vent for gas range hood vent on existing siding. I did some research and best way it seems to be cut out the siding (size of the wall vent cap), install the vent cap and install J-channel around the edge of the vent cap. To install J-channel, it requires to be nailed to the wall. However, in order to do this looks like I have to remove the existing siding to nail the J-channel. In fear of messing up the siding, I just want to put silicone caulk as an adhesive to hold the J-channel in place. I asked around people from home depot, lowes, and some of the contractors and I'm getting mixed answers. Some says it shouldn't be a problem and some say J-channel will warp. Is it okay to hold J-channel using caulk or do I have to nail it on the wall?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by gomdolyi; 06-15-19 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-19, 03:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
Just nail it. It's not that hard.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 06-15-19, 05:34 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Got a picture of this vent so we can see what your seeing?
You may be able to use a siding block instead of having to use J mold, depending on what the vent looks like.
Installing J molding correctly can be a challenge if you've never done it before.
A siding block has it's own trim built in.

pcboss voted this post useful.
Old 06-15-19, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
You should be removing the piece of siding first. I think you should be using a mounting block as well. If you get one that is large enough, you don't need j channel because it has a snap ring.

Old 06-15-19, 10:17 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
install J-channel around the edge of the vent cap.
Lets confirm, what kind of siding, sounds like vinyl?

Old 06-15-19, 05:12 PM
Got a picture of this vent so we can see what your seeing?
I haven't started the project yet so I don't have any picture. I'm still in research stage.

Lets confirm, what kind of siding, sounds like vinyl?
Yes, it is vinyl siding.

I've looked at my existing bathroom wall vent and other neighbor's wall vent installation and they all have caulk the J-channel on to the wall. My house has been over 5 years and don't see any warping yet. Will this be a problem in the future?

Old 06-15-19, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
Even though this is a diy forum and we get all kinds of hair brain "will this work" ideas, I don't think anyone here would recommend doing what you suggest when doing it right is so easy. That is what we are here for... to help you do it right.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 06-15-19, 08:51 PM
Even though this is a diy forum and we get all kinds of hair brain "will this work" ideas, I don't think anyone here would recommend doing what you suggest when doing it right is so easy. That is what we are here for... to help you do it right.
I understand that proper way to install J-channel is to nail it on the board and most likely I will bit the bullet and take that approach. However, I'm concerned about existing installation that has caulked up and if this is something that I have to replace near future.

Old 06-16-19, 12:26 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
https://buymbs.com/p-2592-mid-americ...SABEgKhrvD_BwE

This is something that could work, you pull off the siding in the general area, install (screw in place) the vent then reinstall the siding by trimming it around the block then the vent cap snaps in place to cover the trimmed edges!