Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How do I find vinyl siding to match my 10yr old house?

Old 07-04-19, 04:28 PM

I have a house in NC that was built in 2000. I am going to sell it in the spring. There are 2 places that holes have been knocked through the vinyl siding by a rock or something. I want to replace those pieces.

How would I locate some to match?

Any help with that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-19, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
Hard telling. If you included photos or sizes someone might have an idea. Length of full pieces... width of a double lap... texture of woodgrain... a few brands had characteristics that make them identifiable.

Your best bet might just be to pull off a couple pieces that are hidden behind bushes and move the broken pieces there... just swap them.

You could also call Dr. Vinyl... it's a national repair chain. Their repairs are usually pretty invisible.

Old 07-04-19, 05:04 PM
Upvotes Received: 67
Pretty easy, your going to have to take an existing piece or take a piece off your house to a good building supply store, not to a krappy big box stores, and if they cant ID it by sight there are codes printed on the back side that will identify the make!

10 year old vinyl should be easy to find, I just ID'd my 12 year old siding two years ago and it was still in production!

Now the color fading is something that you will have to work with!

joecaption voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-04-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Uh, wouldn't call it easy... and I'm in the business. *if* it even has any code on it, they are often meaningless. But you won't know until you look. Some brands are better about labeling than others. Unfortunately many no name brands exist and there is a snowballs chance finding them. Plus many times the siding gets discontinued if it isn't a main brand name.

Similar thread from a while back... 'cept he included photos. https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...yl-siding.html

Old 07-05-19, 03:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
A good color match might be hard to get. Both because of fading and changes in manufacturing. Stealing siding from another area where the color isn't as critical is often the best bet. There were some holes in the siding on my son's house where the previous owner cut matching vinyl patches and pop riveted them in place. Those repairs are hard to spot if you are just walking by.

Old 07-05-19, 05:57 AM
Upvotes Received: 24
In your area I'd be taking a sample to places like ABC Supply, Lansing Building Products, Alside, Eastern Aluminum Supply.
Your not going to need a full length piece to match it up.

Old 07-05-19, 06:04 AM
Upvotes Received: 43
If you have an area like he mentioned to pull it from, someplace where it won't be seen, or at least not as obvious, I would swap it as XSleeper suggested. Even then you might not have an exact match if one side gets more sun than the other, but it's going to be the best match you'll find and you'd be done by the time you chased down new pieces and got them home.

Old 07-06-19, 08:12 AM
I made one mistake, I put 10yr old when really it is more like 20yr old. House was built in 2000. Anyway, I took a small piece down and it has some numbers on the lip that locks in with the other piece. Same area where nails go.

I am going to put up a few pics. See if this helps.

Name:  s1.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  23.7 KB

Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  s3.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  25.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-08-19 at 05:11 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 07-06-19, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Download a QR application for your phone and see if you can scan the upc code. Afaik those numbers are meaningless.

Old 07-07-19, 04:17 AM
Upvotes Received: 67
Those were the same codes that helped confirm my siding manufacture!

Old 07-07-19, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like Marq should be back any minute now to tell you what it is.

Old 07-08-19, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
The only info I can find suggests that Lowe's once handled Durabuilt vinyl siding with the upc code starting with 85622 xxxxx. Long since discontinued.

AKA Bluelinx GP vinyl (Georgia Pacific).

But your product code isn't in their current catalog. (GP/ Ply Gem)

Old 07-09-19, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I am going to have to get back to this project later. I have some medical issues with family member that I need to devote time to for now. I think you all have helped me a good bit though.