Aluminum porch ceiling access

Old 08-30-19, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aluminum porch ceiling access

I'm prepping to install some security cams at my home and plan to mount one on the ceiling of our front porch. The porch roof has no living space above it and has an aluminum ceiling - like soffit panels - but non-vented. My hope is to drill through the exterior wall, above the porch ceiling to bring the Ethernet into the house above the front closet to run down the wall to the basement.
How do I get access above this ceiling? Do I need to remove the gutter and facia then start prying the staples out of the ceiling until I have enough room to work, or is it possible to do it with facia/gutter in place? It's an inside corner, and the ceiling sits on an L-shaped piece of metal. It appears to be one large sheet, not panels as I'd hoped.
Alternately, I could run the Ethernet under the siding to the garage soffit and enter there, but I don't love that idea as I'd need to buy direct burial cat5e or put it in conduit.
Thanks in advance,
F1aKk
Photos here: https://imgur.com/gallery/YDsLYkx

Last edited by F1akk; 08-30-19 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Photo link
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-19, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To remove soffit that was correctly installed you will need to pull the gutter and fascia. Be careful prying on the fascia as it is usually aluminum and when bent, is hard to bend back like new. Use a little pry bar or putty knife to try to remove the nails that attach the fascia. The soffit is usually nailed or stapled along the fascia board. If the soffit is aluminum, be careful there too. Good luck.

Old 08-31-19, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 214 Votes on 199 Posts
Your photo link doesnt work. I don't know that I would pull down the soffit. You could put in an old work box... drill a 4" hole with a hole saw... and try to snake the wire through that hole.

Putting it on the wall behind the siding seems like a good alternative too.