Chase Cover Support - Cedar or Fir?

Old 09-13-19, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chase Cover Support - Cedar or Fir?

I'm finishing up my house re-paint and one thing on my list is the replace the 5' x 2.5' box at the top of my chimney chase. It is made up of 2x12s and the chase cover/cap fits over top of it. One corner is rotted pretty good and the other sides have splitting ends, so I'm replacing it all.

I thought the 2x12s were fir, like my gable fascia, but upon closer inspection it is cedar. Won't be cheap to replace with cedar (need 2 pieces of 2x12-8), so I'm wondering if fir will be acceptable. If I prime/paint all sides before install, and caulk/paint any seams after its up, I think it will be fine. Thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on construction method? Currently everything is just butt jointed. Was thinking I could build the box on the ground with screwed/glued miter joints, but I'm not sure how much of a pain that will be to install. Gluing miter joints up in the air may be possible, but I may not have the best access to prime/paint anything that is hidden.

Thanks!

Best pic I have at the moment:

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-19, 08:16 AM
Received 20 Votes on 20 Posts
I would replace it with pressure treated and then cover it with pre-painted aluminum.
Then tuck the aluminum under the cap.

But the above will depend on what color you want.

I would also clad the facias even if you do not do the soffits.
The soffits are fairly protected while the facias take a beating so need repainting cladding them solves that problem.