Re-caulking fiber cement

Old 09-18-19, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-caulking fiber cement

I was going around the house and finding few crack/split caulking on the seam between the siding joints. I'll remove the caulking and re-caulk it and I'm sure this is probably had been asked before, but what type of caulking do you use.

I've done my research and some say polyurethane only, some same acrylic. How about this QUAD Max product? I live in Pacific Northwest and I will only have a couple of dry 60 degree days to get everything done hopefully with matched paint also.

Since I only doing sections that need to be re-caulked, how do you keep the new and old caulking seamless? I'm afraid that the new caulking won't seal properly when butted against the old ones....

Thanks

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-19, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
From James Hardie's instructions:

CAULKING For best results use an Elastomeric Joint Sealant complying with ASTM C920 Grade NS, Class 25 or higher or a Latex Joint Sealant complying with ASTM C834. Caulking/Sealant must be applied in accordance with the caulking/sealant manufacturer’s written instructions. Note: some caulking manufacturers do not allow "tooling".

There are many types of caulking that meet those requirements, if in doubt, read the side of the tube.

I have always used OSI Quad (not quad max). You can also order Quad that is color matched to your siding if you have factory finished (prepainted) siding color. Everyone has their favorite brand.

Old 09-20-19, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Perfect, I started to caulk the problem area with QUAD Max since I only have limited window time to get it done and painted. When it says "tooling" isn't allowed, does that mean I can't run my finger to force the bead into the joint gap and get smooth bead formation? so you basically shoot it and let it go?

Thanks

Old 09-20-19, 08:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
That's what it means although I'm not sure why. I've smoothed out Quad Max before with no issues although I generally either have my finger wet with thinner or a damp thinner rag. It could have to do with the set up time.