Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to replace siding between brick veneer and wall studs

How to replace siding between brick veneer and wall studs

Old 10-15-19, 03:30 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to replace siding between brick veneer and wall studs

Hi all,
I'm hoping you can help me with something. I read the FAQ/Rules and I have tried to follow them and provide everything. Apologies if I've missed anything.

A few weeks ago our carpet was soaking wet after a heavy rain. After examining a number of things, I found that water was coming in from a bad downspout, down our brick, and seeping through into the interior. So I tore down the dry wall (covered in mold), pulled out the insulation, and the plywood between the brick and the outside of the wall was sopping wet, moldy, and rotted. Here are pics after taking things down: https://imgur.com/a/THrqbSL
I've had roofer and gutter guys come to fix the problem the water routing problem and a masonry contractor is fixing and sealing the brick. I'll be scrubbing the studs to remove mold and removing the rest of the old plywood barrier (at least in the parts where there is mold/rot).

So now I have to put everything back together on the interior. The problem is that I don't know what to do in the space between the studs and the brick. There used to be a plywood barrier with (I think) tar paper on the outside. But that was put on the house from the outside prior to the brickwork and so there's no way to replace that now. I have no idea what to put there now. Should I try to put plywood between the studs and insulation on that? I assume there's code that I need to follow. Any advice very much welcomed. Hoping to do it myself as I'm pretty handy, but if I have to call someone in it'd be great to know the type of contractor you'd contact.

I live just outside Seattle, Washington, if that helps.

Thank you!
Attached Images     
Old 10-15-19, 05:04 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 27,169
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Sheathing is also supposed to have a wrb (housewrap / felt paper) on it, and it needs to be lapped properly so as to shed water that gets behind the brick. There is no perfect way to do that without removing the brick.

The best you can do without taking the brick off, is to buzz off any plywood that is still sticking out beyond the studs on the left and right so that it's flush. Disconnect and then pull the single wire coming out of the outlet... also carefully remove all the staples holding that wire to the stud.

Then make yourself a 2x4 frame (like a box) that will fit inside that stud cavity, and under the existing plywood above. Make it about 1/8" smaller than the width and height of that one stud bay. Make sure it's square by comparing the diagonal measurements. Then put sheathing on the box. Then put felt paper or Tyvek on that.

If your existing sheathing has a wrb (felt paper or Tyvek), try to slip a piece of sheet metal or flat aluminum flashing that is about 4" wide behind it on the sides of the opening and then slip flashing behind the paper on top. Try to get the flashing 2" under the old paper. It goes between the paper and the sheathing so that it will shed water.

Then run a bead of sealant on that flashing and insert the box you made. Fasten it to the existing studs on the sides. You will need to drill a hole in top to let the wire down inside your box. Then you will need to drill a hole in the side to get that wire back over to the outlet. Then staple the wire to the side of your new stud and hook the wire back up to the outlet.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: