Siding Leaks/Water draining into cabinets

Old 10-19-19, 12:23 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Siding Leaks/Water draining into cabinets

Hello, first time home buyer with a weird issue. After the first major downpour since moving in multiple windows leaked, and water was draining into one of the kitchen cabinets. After caulking up the windows I have had no issues with them. One of the windows is located more or less directly above the cabinet in question, so I figured this should solve the problem. However, since the caulking we have found water on multiple occasions in the cabinet and pooling on the counter below, see pictures 1-3. Oddly enough these puddles appear overnight and do not follow rain. While I suppose this could be a plumbing issue, I feel as though this could be related to leaks in the siding or condensation forming between the siding and the buildingThe siding is definitely not in great condition. Looking at the siding, I see a bulge located directly below the gutter; this bulge is above the window that leaked, located above the cabinet. See pictures 4-6.Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? I haven't found anything similar yet. What would the fix for this be, aside from just all new siding? If I wanted to call in outside help in diagnosis, should this go to a general contracter, a siding company, who else? Any help would be appreciated

Attached Images       
Old 10-19-19, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Your problem likely starts at your gutter. You need to get on the roof and first of all check that the downspouts aren't plugged. Then, ensure that you have a roof edge
flashing that directs all the runoff into the gutter. If this flashing doesn't cover the back of gutter, water can run behind the gutter and easily get behind the siding since you have no overhang.

Even if water gets behind the siding your windows should not leak. To fix that you need to remove siding. So rather than waste time explaining how to do that, I would want to know if that is something you are equipped to do.

Water can also run down the sides of your windows and get behind the siding. This is happening for sure. If your siding has no WRB (housewrap) that water can also run into the house if it has the chance.

So tell us what you find on the roof/ gutter... And whether or not you have a ladder and the ability to unzip your siding. You have to be the one to investigate, all we can do is point you in the right direction and tell you how to do it once you find the problem. The puckered siding is not necessarily it but it could be some combination of all the above.

I also question how and where you caulked your windows.

Old 10-20-19, 06:55 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Guessing the kitchen is on the first floor on the left of that door.
The biggest issue I see is what looks like the siding was installed wrong where that Garrison overhang is.
There should have been a strip of coil stock used bent in L shape at least 1" X 6", with the 6" run up the wall, the 1" part covers and holds up the ends of the soffits.
Then the house wrap goes on, and a strip of starter strip installed, set so the siding starts just below coil stock, that way the water running down the wall runs past that area not a funnel like you have now.
A properly done siding job never needs caulking.
While up there checking the items Xsleeper suggested, I'd also be checking the seal around the vent stacks.

Old 10-20-19, 08:47 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
The first thing I would do is move that coffee maker so it is not under the cabinet.

It is a possible source of the water.

Last edited by manden; 10-20-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 10:09 AM
H
Thanks for the direction guys, I'll look into it. I caulked between the siding and the top of the window frames, since then I haven't had any rain issues with the windows. I was recently advised on another forum that the upper windows may not have been installed with flashing, so that's not helping anything

Old 10-20-19, 10:19 AM
M
Have you moved the coffee maker?

I do not see any water further up in the cabinet so cannot see how it could be dripping down.

I do see plates with water on the underside which could be condensation from the coffee maker steam and then it drips onto the cabinet floor.

Old 10-21-19, 06:34 AM
H
2nd pic is water hanging from the top of the cabinet. It's dripping down to the bottom. We witnessed this directly when it poured

Old 10-21-19, 07:21 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Caulking around the trim like that was a bad idea, and will not work for long.
Someone needs to pop off a piece of siding to see what's going on behind it.
Looking again at your pictures and seeing the amount of water and it's location inside the cabinet I see no way all that moisture is coming from outside.
I may be wrong but it looks more like condensation coming from the inside of the home.
For water to end up that far out it would have to travel through the house wrap (if there is any) through the sheathing, insulation, sheetrock, paint and primmer, then through the wood in the cabinet, not likely.

Old 10-21-19, 08:13 AM
M
OK But I did not know what that was.

You may be able to fix the leak on the outside but what and how much damage has been done to the inside of the wall.
If it is fiberglass then some of the insulation is probably toast.
On top of that there is a possibility of rot.
Since it sometimes takes a while for it to drip after a heavy rain the water must be pooling somewhere.

The only proper fix I can think of is rip off the siding , sheeting, insulation etc. and redo it.
Or do it from the inside.
I think the outside option is the best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: