Question about Ventilation and Attic construction

Old 10-23-19, 08:48 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question about Ventilation and Attic construction

Hope I'm putting this in the right forum.

I have a new house, bought in January 2019. Recently, I had cause to go up in the attic. While up there, I found these 'holes' cut ...well, they seem more punched..into the side of the house, through the wood sheathing. They are behind the outside vinyl siding, so there is no rain getting in, but I'm concerned about whether or not this is standard.

The house is about 1200 Sq Ft and has a peak vent. (A vent that runs along the peak of the roof) so I wonder at why these are there. They are at both ends of the house.

Attached Images   
Old 10-23-19, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
No, it's not "standard" and has nothing to do with ventilation. My guess is that they punched holes in it during construction. They probably put the sheathing on the gable end truss while it was on the ground and needed to punch two holes in it to put a strap through the wall section as they hoisted it up there with a lift.

If there is housewrap between the hole and the siding, it shouldn't leak. But the holes could be patched with something so that critters don't have easy access. Maybe toenail a couple 2x4s horizontally to cover the holes.

Marvinator voted this post useful.
Old 10-24-19, 08:38 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the input! I will plan on covering them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: