LP Smart Siding

Old 10-30-19, 05:35 PM
C
Received 97 Votes on 76 Posts
LP Smart Siding

I'm down to two choices for siding. We are having difficulty deciding on LP Smart Siding or Hardie Board. My contractor is recommending Hardie Board. He is familiar with it and says it will be cheaper than Smart Siding. He did say that Smart Siding looks like a good product but it will cost more and he has no experience with it and there are limited suppliers in our area.

Does anyone here have either of these products on their home or have any experience with installing either product?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-19, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
I have use both and prefer LP smartside. I can't see that cost is a factor at all. In fact it goes up faster so installation should be less. If he would try it he'd like it.

I'm actually siding a house right now with it.

I used to be a big fan of cement siding but not so much anymore. Diamond Kote is top of the line prefinished LP. It's not exactly paint... More solids in it somehow.

Old 10-31-19, 05:40 AM
C
I have been doing some on line research and your response has convinced me to go with the Diamond Kote LP Smart Siding. Now I just have to convince my contractor. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-31-19, 06:37 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
I'd go with the Smart Side every time.
Far less likely to get damaged, very easy to cut and nail.
No priming and painting.

Old 10-31-19, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
Advise him to get their touch up paint (8 Oz bottles). Cut ends such as over roofs need to be painted as it is cut and installed. They also make butt joint flashings that are color matched.

Old 10-31-19, 04:15 PM
C
Can I ask where you are located? I got my contractor on board for the siding but we're having a problem finding a "Diamond Kote" supplier. My contractor has two local pro only supply houses that he deals with and neither carry the product. I went on line without a lot of success in my area - SE CT.

I told him to check with a big box but he told me he would rather have a root canal.

I'm sure we'll work it out. I suspect I'll end up getting what I want but I also suspect I'll pay out the nose (or some other orifice) for it.

Old 10-31-19, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Nebraska. Any small town DoItBest lumber yard around here can get it. Their website has a "find a dealer" link you could try. I think the Wausau Supply site online is a wholesaler that only sells to retailers or corporate entities.

I'm not sure if Home Depot is one of their dealers or not. You could check into that for him. I've had several root canals... and I can say without a doubt I'd rather deal with Home Depot. LOL

Old 11-08-19, 03:41 PM
C
XSleeper - Have you had any call backs for the LP Siding? I've read some stuff about cut ends swelling and there being problems with moisture. It was on the internet so it must be true - right?

Old 11-08-19, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
I have had no call backs. But I'm a premium installer... meaning I actually follow the installation directions regarding painting all cut ends that won't be caulked. Maintaining the proper expansion joint gaps is also important, as is keeping it a minimum of 6" above grade and 2" above roofs and sidewalks. I leave 1/2" clearance above drip caps.

Old 02-14-20, 08:39 AM
C
I'm butting heads with my contractor re Smart Siding trim. I want to use the Diamond Kote trim pieces but they are pricey. He wants to use Azec trim at about half the price.
Actually, I don't mind paying more (above the contract cost) to get what I want - but I haven't told him that yet. First I want to get a little bit smarter. I have no experience with either product.

It seems to me that there would be some labor savings using the finned trim and corner pieces (1 pc to be cut nailed vs two of Azec). Plus they are blind nailed which has to look better than face nailed Azec. He is also planning on using vinyl mounting blocks and I want to use the Diamond Kote blocks which cost about 3 times as much.

Looking for an opinion from the guys that have experience with LP Smart Siding. Is using the Diamond Kote trim and accessories worth the extra cost? My guess is about $1500 more for the Diamond Kote stuff.

Old 03-10-20, 10:46 AM
C
For XSleeper -
My contractor has finished the trim (fascia, soffits, corner boards and window trim) using the Diamond Kote stuff. It looks OK but I'm not sure yet if it was worth the extra cost. Quite a bit more expensive than the Azec my contractor wanted to use. The soffits for example are nothing but shallow kerfs in a wide board. That wouild be OK except it doesn't look like it the kerfs had been painted. However, the flanged window and corner trim are a plus.

However, the guys putting up the siding are really liking the LP Smart Siding. This was their first job using the stuff and they said today that it was the best siding they had worked with. Lots of things they liked and not a single negative.

Just wanted to say thanks for helping me figure out which product to go with.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 03-11-20, 04:20 PM
C
One last comment on this topic -

In my opinion the Diamond Kote accessories are overpriced. For instance mounting blocks are $35 - $80 and the paint they recommend for the board cuts is $15 for an 8 oz bottle. We did buy the butt end clips ($25 for 60) but I wasn't sure that I wanted to use them. We installed them on the first few course and decided to keep using them. They look good, barely visible from a few feet away. The installers like them because they don't have to caulk the but joints.

Old 03-11-20, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Agreed. $$$... They know they've got you. I draw the line at some point. I make mounting blocks out of Azek. I like h-mullions too... but I prefer to stagger my joints randomly... not line them up stairstep style, and definitely not back and forth in 2 single file vertical rows.

What kind of caulk did they use?