Cement Board over Plywood - Seeking Expert Advice

Old 11-18-19, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cement Board over Plywood - Seeking Expert Advice

Hello,

I am renovating my exterior walls because they only have fiberglass bats and rigid foam boards on it. I would like to put 23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. plywood on after I added Rockwool as a insulation. As a siding I would like to add 1/2 inch Durock 4 ft. x 8 ft. cement board.

My question: Does these may be too heavy for the studs or will they carry this weight?
House is a one story ranch style building.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-19, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 244 Votes on 225 Posts
No it is not too heavy. But 4x8 Durock is not siding... It is a backer board for tile. If you want to use cement board that is meant to be used as siding, that would be Hardiepanel siding. And you need housewrap behind the siding.

Old 11-18-19, 07:58 PM
I left the parts out with the wrap and rigid foam boards, because these were not relevant to the weight question. Of course, I am adding these to the walls.
Thank you for your response.

Old 11-19-19, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 264 Votes on 239 Posts
OK, so now you're talking about adding rigid foam, 3/4" plywood and then exterior siding? Weight isn't the problem. It's the thickness of all that material. How will you trim your windows & doors. Judging by your photo your siding will be out beyond your window.

Old 11-19-19, 06:24 AM
Windows will be accordingly flashed and sealed. I will also add a storm window in front to get me more sound proof. I was just worried about the weight I put on.

Old 11-19-19, 07:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 126 Posts
Several yrs ago when Dryvit was popular they'd nail up plywood or OSB, cover it with tar paper, install the cement board and then apply 2 coats of Dryvit. The weight shouldn't be an issue although I don't know it the foam boards change anything.

Old 11-19-19, 07:40 AM
Several yrs ago when Dryvit was popular they'd nail up plywood or OSB, cover it with tar paper, install the cement board and then apply 2 coats of Dryvit.
I did it that way 35 years ago and I am still doing it today, but with Sherwin Williams instead of Dryvit stucco. I was just afraid of the weight since I am not use to wood framed walls. (Coming from Europe constructions)