Unable to fix siding repair

Old 12-23-19, 12:31 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unable to fix siding repair

I have one piece of siding that has fallen off the side of my house. I took a look and the nail or nails that had held it in had come out. I bought some roofing nails to try to hammer the siding back in.
The problem is for one I'm trying to do this 16 feet up in the air with nothing to hold onto. Second, I can't hammer in the nail because the siding piece just above is in my way, basically blocking me from being able to bring the hammer back enough to hit the nail. This is pulling the piece above as far back as I can. I'm afraid if I try to pull it up any more it may also come off.

Anyone tried to do this before and had success? I don't know how to hammer this in with the piece above in the way. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-19, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
Are you talking about the soffit. The part just under the roof ?
A picture would be helpful here.... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 12-23-19, 01:32 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi. I'm talking about the vinyl siding on the side of the house. I can try for a picture tomorrow. Thanks

Old 12-23-19, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
If it's vinyl siding, you should have no problem bending the piece of siding above it up and out of the way. If the piece you need to bend is too narrow to bend (such as the very top piece of siding might be) you may need to remove it first. Then nail your siding in. Then put the final row back up.

A Malco sideswiper is needed to zip vinyl siding back up after it comes loose. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do that.

Old 12-23-19, 01:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I'm not a siding guy but sometimes it can beneficial to hold the nail with a needle nose vise grip and then hit the vise grip as close as you can to the nail head. You'd still need to wack the nail head one last time.

Old 12-23-19, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Typically on a repair you have to use your head. Literally. If you push up the siding above with your head it leaves both hands free to work on the piece below.

But like I said if the piece above is narrow and it won't bend you have to remove it first.