What to do about where siding meets concrete.

Old 01-06-20, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do about where siding meets concrete.

I have a dilemma that I need to resolve. I have siding that meets the concrete on a patio addition behind my home. The siding is starting to rot away after years of getting wet. I'm wanting to replace it but I want to do this the correct way if there is one.

Nothing I do will keep that area dry so what would you suggest to place so I can keep this stuff from rotting away quickly? I don't have photos but imagine a wall resting on a concrete slab, thats what I have.

There isnt an option to remove this completely as we're using that room for storage. Please help if you can.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-20, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
Siding should never meet concrete, because your siding mfg's installation instructions surely dictate that it should never be installed closer than 2" to a concrete surface such as a sidewalk or patio.

Also concrete poured next to a wall should always be at least 1 or 2" lower than the foundation so that water is not able to run under the bottom plate of the framing.

It's hard to make any recommendations sight unseen, but in short, the siding needs to be kept above the concrete, and a metal flashing would take its place. Another option might be a pvc trim board topped with a z-flashing on the lower 6 or 7", (google water table trim) so that the siding would stay far above grade.

Old 01-08-20, 05:17 PM
I've tried to insert a photo that is small in size but I get an error that I've exceeded my quota.

Old 01-08-20, 06:53 PM
Here are requested photos

Attached Images   
Old 01-08-20, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Snap a chalk line up about 8" or so and run a skilsaw down that line to cut off the siding. On the inside, put 2x4 blocking horizontally between the studs and behind the cut edge of the siding, and fasten that blocking to the framing. Outside, slip a z-flashing up under the cut edge of the siding... allow about 1/2" gap between the cut edge of the siding and flashing so that you can paint it. Renail the siding to the studs and to the new blocking.

Where the concrete meets the building, install an L-shaped flashing. Run a bead of sealant on the concrete and set the flashing into it and fasten it to the framing. Then install a pvc 1x8 over that flashing, and under the z-flashing.

Old 01-08-20, 07:42 PM
Why am I cutting the siding at 8"? Is that to not replace the entire siding or something else I'm missing.

Old 01-08-20, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe reread what I wrote above until it makes sense. You are removing the lower 8" of siding and putting a pvc 1x8 there that won't rot.

Old 01-08-20, 09:24 PM
Didn't see that, got it now.