Re-Caulking Windows on a home with stucco exterior

Old 03-10-20, 10:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-Caulking Windows on a home with stucco exterior

Hi Everyone, I have a home that is Stone, Brick and some Stucco on its exterior. I will need to re-caulk my windows in the near future.

I have a question about removing the old caulking from the windows that have stucco surrounding them. I know with the brick and stone the caulking removal won't damage the stone or brick. I am concerned that pulling the caulking away from the windows where they meet stucco might damage the stucco.

Is there a different method for removing caulking from windows that have stucco surrounding them?

Thanks

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-20, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
It just depends. In "some" cases, it's better to leave the old caulk if a new bead can be applied over the top of it. If disturbing the caulk causes a greater problem than leaving it, I usually opt to leave it.

That being said, it also depends on the type of caulk that was previously used. Some is harder than rock... some gets gummy if you try to use a heat gun to soften it or if you try to cut it with a tool that creates friction (heat).

An oscillating tool and a scraper attachment sometimes works well... or maybe a grinder and a diamond (concrete) blade. But you have to maintain good control of the tool to not go too deep or wide... or scar up a window frame. And it will likely leave residue that will need to be scraped or cleaned off with a utility knife. Often just using a utility knife to cut out what you can is your best bet.

There is no perfect answer, so hope this gives you some direction at least.

Old 03-10-20, 12:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Sleeper. The caulking is a good quality Mulco Supra Expert which is a thermoplastic rubber type that is still pliable after 14 years. Itís still doing its job but I figure in the next year or so I should be looking at getting it redone.

Old 03-10-20, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
If it's still in decent shape I'd leave it. Otherwise cutting the caulk with a utility knife is what I try first.

Old 03-10-20, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
If it's still soft and pliable you will like using an oscillating multitool with a sharp scraper blade. It will cut through it like butter.