Black stains come back as soon as I re-stain!!

Old 03-12-20, 11:17 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Black stains come back as soon as I re-stain!!

I thought I was doing everything right restaining a cedar sided house. It's originally stained with Penofin Transparent Cedar red label and I am applying the same thing.

The house was last stained probably 5 years ago, working on the south facing side, the cedar has lots of black or dark patches at the bottom of the vertical cedar siding. The upper 2/3rds is in relatively nice shape still.

My prep-
Using Penofin Cleaner - dissolving in water and applying with a pump sprayer, letting it activate for about 20 minutes and then scrubbing the surfaces, doing a second application on the lower areas that have the blackest staining. Hosing off with garden hose

Using Penofin Brightener - dissolving in water and applying with a pump sprayer, letting it activate for about 20 minutes and then doing a second application on the lower areas that have the blackest staining. I can visually see the dark areas lightening during application. Hosing very thoroughly with power sprayer, making sure not to damage the wood, but enough that some mushy wood fibers are showing up and being washed off during the spraying.

Letting dry 24 hours.

The surfaces look great, much lighter, black staining seems to be gone, cedar looks almost brand new.

Reapplying 2 coats of Penofin red label. However, this is where I am having the problem, as soon as I apply the first coat, the darkness at the bottom if the cedar, very ugly seems to reappear. The nice bright even surface is dark again at the bottom as if I never did any prep.

I stopped, only covered a small section with one coat, I don't want to go any further until I know what steps to take, or is it possible the wood is so old it's just beyond coming back to like new?

Picture shows the before, after cleaning and after re-staining

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-20, 12:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't remember if I've ever used any Penofin coatings but I know I've never used their cleaner. IMO the finished product looks about like I'd expect for siding that was left to weather too long. You might try an oxidized bleach [wood bleach] and see if it helps.

Old 03-12-20, 12:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I agree with Mark - your 'after cleaning' photo is not to the condition I would take my deck before applying new stain.

Old 03-15-20, 04:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks for your opinions. Sounds like I'm not done cleaning