Nails Discoloring Vinyl Siding

Old 04-16-20, 07:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nails Discoloring Vinyl Siding

Hello,

I am usually pretty good with Google, but I have not been able to find much about my problem. We are having an issue with brown dots showing up through our double 4 Compass (I think) vinyl siding. This is happening over every nail head. It makes our siding look polka dotted brown. We are also seeing vertical brown lines in spots. It looks like this is happening where the foam backing comes together and leaves a gap between each other. We tried cleaning it off from the outside and it did nothing to help. I have a siding removal tool so I may pull a piece off and try cleaning it from the inside. However, I think the siding is permanently damaged unfortunately.

Our roofer (who also does siding) has never seen this before. He confirmed the dots look to be bleeding through the vinyl and are directly over every nail head. Now, every side of this house is doing this, but the two worse sides by far are the two east facing walls. These walls get the first morning sun.

Have any of you ever seen this before? I am pretty handy so I am hoping they still make our siding and color. However, I would like to know why it did this and how to prevent it once the new siding is installed.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-20, 08:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Not that uncommon of a problem. All those spots are caused by condensation. The nail heads are cold so they cause a sweaty spot on the siding in the morning. Add to that, you have something in the area that is collecting on that condensation. It could be pollen, smoke, dust, a number of things. But whatever it is, that is what is leaving the stain on the siding.

This problem is usually worsened by a leaky house that is losing a lot of moisture... And it happens to low quality siding more often than not. Something about the vinyl makes it more susceptible to staining than others. You might notice the surface is a little chalky if you wipe it with a black glove. UV degradation causes that.

Old 04-16-20, 08:26 AM
T
Thanks for the quick response! We have a metric ton of pollen in the air. You can see it floating around to the point it looks like its mist when its dark out.

Also explains why the east face walls are the worst. They get the hot sun the soonest while the walls are still cold from the night.

Is it possible to clean these spots from the inside? Or is the vinyl permanently damaged? I think this vinyl does have a 50yr warranty, but I doubt the original owners ever submitted the information. It probably wouldnt cover this anyways. I did reach out to Georgia Pacific who I think makes this siding. I only asked if this was their product and if they still made it and the color.

If I replace with the same product should I be covering the nail heads and gaps in between the foam with a Tyvek type tape? Or would that not help?

Old 04-16-20, 08:44 AM
Group Moderator
Is it possible to clean these spots from the inside?
What? Inside?

Try scrubbing it with Zud... Or maybe soft scrub with bleach. If it doesn't come off its permanent.

Doubt anything will help. Same siding will likely have the same results as it ages.

Old 04-16-20, 08:56 AM
T
What? Inside?

Try scrubbing it with Zud... Or maybe soft scrub with bleach. If it doesn't come off its permanent.

Doubt anything will help. Same siding will likely have the same results as it ages.
Inside as in the underside/back side of the vinyl. I have the tool to remove the vinyl so I didnt know if it would help to try scrubbing it on the interior side. I tried scrubbing the outside surface and it didn't seem to do anything to the stains.

I am hoping I can still get this product and color. It looks like it is still available (closer inspection it is actually 5" so Forest Ridge Double most likely and not Compass). I may replace this wall as its not huge and easy to access. Its also not in your direct view when you look at the house so brand new vinyl might not stand out so much.

Old 04-16-20, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
I would not bother doing the inside. Take one off and look. I bet the stain is only on the outside.