Melted siding?

Old 04-26-20, 06:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Melted siding?

See these photos, not much to say. It happened a while ago. This is between two 2nd floor windows on the back of the house, a bathroom & landing window. No plumbing in that wall I believe, and thereís a PVC vent pipe coming out the roof above this section that I donít think is functional. Based on the photos & that description, any ideas what might have happened?

Thanks,
Andy

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-20, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Vinyl siding can often be melted by the reflection of a neighbor's concave window focusing a beam of light on the house next door at a certain time of the day. Seems to be more pronounced in the winter, which makes the double pane glass units more concave (hour glass shaped).

Old 04-26-20, 07:17 PM
T
XSleeper, thanks very much for the reply. Follow-up, is your response based on how the light is hitting the siding in the photo? When I say it happened a while ago I mean I noticed it last fall, then forgot about it over the weekend. I’ve had this siding up for over 10 years (prior siding was aluminum). And we don’t have a neighbor’s house close enough to reflect onto the back of the house. So how come it would happen suddenly after so many years, with repeated exposure every day to whatever it is?

Thanks again,
Andy

Old 04-26-20, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
No, it was based on what would cause vinyl siding siding to melt like that. I'm guessing.

Was the house recently reroofed?

Old 04-26-20, 07:32 PM
T
No, was re-roofed about 15 years ago.

Old 04-26-20, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Lightning strike maybe....

Old 04-26-20, 10:08 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Any clue on who made the siding?
I looked of the other suggestions, and agree with most of most of them on what could have caused this issue, for sure it was caused by heat, but no way is new shingles, or lighting the issue.
If you can some how figure out who made that siding there may be a recall.

Old 04-27-20, 02:49 AM
Group Moderator
I asked about the roof because of the heat that could be coming from the attic space of the roof below. Lean to roofs are often not ventilated so they get very hot... but I have never seen them melt siding. And you dont think lightning is hot? Never seen a tree or house catch on fire due to a lightning strike?

Old 04-27-20, 03:02 AM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
You can see that the heat damage is at an angle.
Since any plumbing pipe would be vertical I doubt that is the problem.
Take a look during a sunny day to see if the light is concentrated along the warped area.

Perhaps when you take it off you will find something under it.

Old 04-27-20, 05:01 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
What about adjacent windows?

In the winter we have some south facing windows that cast a hot spot on the yard that melts the snow and it's surprising how warm that reflected light is so it's possible that a reflection may have been involved!

Old 04-27-20, 05:16 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
FWIW...that looks like a direct heat exposure. All the suggestions seem reasonable if the conditions were right. The only thing with a wrong with a lighting strike is lack of any other damage or cinching.
Here's few other shot's in the dark...a burning piece if fireworks the remains since have blown away, ice behind the shingles deforming it, defective material (sound s good, but why only there if from a batch?).

Old 04-27-20, 05:19 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Is it possible someone with a hair dryer was attempting to thaw the roof gutter and got careless?

Old 04-27-20, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
I too tend towards the sunlight reflecting theory. It could have been one day you parked your car in that special location and that perfect angle and "poof"... you have a death ray.

I had a similar problem with my lawn behind my house where I have a pair of south facing windows. I put in a small area of sod but all of a sudden in August there was a dead strip through the grass. And every year the same thing happened at exactly the same time. I tried everything including having the agricultural extension office out, the owner of a sod farm and even sent samples into the state lab. No disease, insect or pathogens caused it. Then one day I noticed how the sun was reflecting off a pair of windows onto the dead area of the lawn where the light was being focused.

Old 04-27-20, 05:42 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
Archimedes allegedly built a giant mirror that focused the sun's energy with such ferocity that it ignited the invading Roman ships.

Old 04-27-20, 09:08 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Look again at that area just above the damage area near that window.
Sure looks like there's a glare from something making the siding look white in that picture.
FYI Lightning can heat the air it passes through up to 50,000 deg.
It's burned down many a house, and is one of the main causes of wild fires.
https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-temperature
A buddy of mine had his siding melt like that because his boat was parked about 15' from the house and the sun hit the windshield just right.

Old 04-27-20, 09:15 AM
Sure looks like there's a glare from something
Bingo, there is something there!

Another story, same south side, different window.

On the inside of our bathroom vinyl window there are now 2 burn marks, looks just like a cigarette burn.

I assumed it was the Mrs's curling iron/hair dryer, nope, she has one of those convex lighted mirrors on the counter just in front of the window. At some point the convex was pointed outward and that same winter sun hit it just right.

That is kind of freaked me out to think something was smoldering to the point it was melting the vinyl!

Old 04-28-20, 06:31 AM
H
Received 97 Votes on 86 Posts
Solar reflection heating seems most likely. If the is the back of the house, it seems hard to imagine a vehicle there long enough to reflect light in that way.

The first photo SEEMS to show the edge a ridge running perpendicular to the right most window

And, that valley in the roof seems to line up with the angle of reflected light/heat damage.

So, my best guess is that after an ice storm, that "V-shaped" valley in the roof was all shiny with ice, a bright sunrise/sunset lined up with the valley and caused a focused reflection.
So- the big questions - #1 is there are valley in that roof? #2 does that valley face almost due East/West?

Last edited by Hal_S; 04-28-20 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-28-20, 07:20 PM
T
Thanks to all for the responses. I hadn’t checked back for 2 days & was surprised how many theories there were!

Hal_S I think what you’re saying makes the most sense. That is a valley on the right side of the photo, and the house faces exactly south so the valley faces exactly west. The angle of the valley lines up with the heat damage, in such a way that it looks very possible if there was ice in that valley & the sun hit it just right it could have caused the damage.

Two last data points. Today was the first warm day in a while, and there was a large number of bees in that area - maybe they’re nesting under the siding? Although seems unlikely that damage pattern would be caused by nesting bees. And second, I didn’t notice the damage until late last summer, so if the ice reflection theory is the right one then it sure took a long time for me to notice it! Although my wife does always say I’m not very observant!

Thanks again to all, I guess I will chalk it up to a very random event (we’ve been in the house over 21 years) and just replace the siding.

Have a great night, and everyone stay safe,
Andy

Old 04-29-20, 02:48 AM
I don't buy the ice theory.

From seeing similar occurrences in my yard off my windows, it requires an exact angle of the sun, a cloudless sunny day, and now you want to throw in having had the perfect weather condition that provided the exact amount of show which then melted into a perfectly reflective surface just prior to that sunny day that would start the ice to melting?

Winning a mega lottery seems to have lower odds!

Just too many variables.

Plus you look at the picture and you can see a reflection right now on that area!

joecaption voted this post useful.