Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Replacing plywood board & batten around existing penetrations

Replacing plywood board & batten around existing penetrations

Old 04-28-20, 07:56 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing plywood board & batten around existing penetrations

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me come up with a plan. Just purchased a house (wife's dream home... needs some work). Existing house siding is 1/2" 4x8' plywood sheets with 1x6 cedar battens. Plywood sheets are so far gone they are delaminating and I can touch the sheathing, which is some sort of particle board (1980 house, my understanding is this was common construction for the time). They appear to be directly mounted - no furring strips.

I'm looking at replacing the plywood sheets, but need to figure out the most correct way to work around some existing wall penetrations: a utility disconnect, a house disconnect, and a refrigerant line for the AC.

Best idea I have thought up so far is to get reasonably close with a circular saw set to 1/2" depth, then use an oscillating multi-tool to finish. To put the new sheet back on I'll need to split it and cut a profile for any penetrations.

My understanding is that I need to arrange for the utility to handle their disconnect. My disconnect I can disconnect at the panel and unscrew the box. My refrigerant line I just need to be careful around.

Anyone have better advice, ideas, or options?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-20, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
You disconnect what you can. The rest depends where they fall. Sometimes It is best to make a split mounting block to go around the penetration... Then have the siding joint break somewhere on that block and cut the siding around the edges of the block. If a stud is nearby that works well.