dimensions of Wood fascia vs. aluminum?

Old 05-11-20, 11:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dimensions of Wood fascia vs. aluminum?

I am doing a bunch of different things with some of my gutters / shingles.

1 of them is to put aluminum fascia material between the gutters and wood fascia on an existing house that's 50? years old. The house has wood painted siding & fascias, but the fascias behind the gutters look like they haven't been painted since the house was built (right? Is it typical for the painter to take down the gutters to paint the fascia?)

I bought some of this 6" wide aluminum

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-x-1...7103/204103285

I am measuring something like 5 15/16" for the vertical surface.

but measuring the wood fascia, I am getting something like 5 1/2". (it's hard to get an exact measure because the drip edge is in place, but I AM measuring from the bottom up to what I think is the top edge behind the drip edge). But that's like a 2 x 4... nominally the wood is 6" but the mill cuts it to 5 1/2?

So it's common procedure to have to cut down the aluminum to 5 3/8 or so? They make a point to have the nice rolled edge at the top that I am cutting off - and my skill with tin snips doesn't compare to their work in the factory. But my edge goes up behind the drip edge, so no one sees it. Still, having to cut that is a chore.

Does that sound right? I measured on both a fascia on the original house and on an addition that was put on 35 years ago.

So I am out there with tin snips shortening the height. That bare edge / my crap cutting job is hidden behind the drip edge, so not a problem. But still, a time suck.

Is this aluminum not for old work / remodels without having to cut it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-20, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Your 5 1/2" fascia might have 1/2" or 3/4" plywood on top of it... Making it 6+... And aluminum fascia is made to also go over soffit that is 3/8-1/2" thick. So no, normally you don't need to cut it.

Score it twice with a sharp utility knife and snap it off.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 05-12-20, 09:48 AM
B
Score it twice with a sharp utility knife and snap it off. ?!?!

wow! Yeah!? twice - one on each side? Doing it with the hook side down seems something would get bent?

Yeah, i haven't found a cross section of doing new? work with aluminum fascia. Have to look for that to understand this.

I do see, even with the wood, that the fascia bottom is a bit lower than the horizontal part (soffit?) so that bottom covers it.

Am I overthinking - will bugs get under there (between wood and aluminum to nest / drill? Would you caulk the bottom hook to the wood? I've done some of the install already. Have to remember to bend the hook up so it stays closer to the wood.

But then my concern - water gets behind the aluminum and sits on that hook and soaks the bottom of the wood? Or evaporates before an issue? And yeah, water behind the aluminum shouldn't occur? Just me overthinking / paranoia

Old 05-12-20, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Cut on the back side... follow the same cut line. Hook? You cut aluminum with a utility knife, not a hook blade. Yes you are overthinking it. No one cares about a gap under the drip edge. If the aluminum is under the drip edge, it will shed water. That's all anyone cares about. Lap your seams 6" or so.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 05-12-20, 11:52 AM
B
As always:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!