painting vinyl shutters

Old 05-12-20, 03:10 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting vinyl shutters

I have some white vinyl shutters I'd like to paint. I've read a little about how some vinyl products can warp due to the pigments in certain colors and heat absorption. These shutters do see a lot of sun exposure throughout the afternoon.

We picked out a pretty dark color, in the family of blacks, and Sherwin Williams claims their computer can convert any color into a "vinyl safe" formula. I don't need a lot of paint, and the only exterior paint in a quart with them is Resilience. After reading a lot of bad reviews on Resilience, and even Duration (would need to buy a whole gallon of this) on their own website, I am not feeling great about Sherwin Williams.

I thought I would take a risk with our color that we chose in another brand of paint. How big of a problem is this thing with dark colors on vinyl shutters? Is it a big issue, or is it more of a problem with siding?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-20, 03:17 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
SW is good, the secret is using a PVC primer, which is a hot primer and etches the plastic so the paint will adhear!

Old 05-12-20, 03:51 PM
N
Marq1, who makes the PVC primer?

Old 05-12-20, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
There is no way I would be painting vinyl shutters a dark color. Emerald is their top of the line paint.

Old 05-12-20, 06:38 PM
N
XSleeper, how do you feel about the SW line of "vinyl safe" colors? BM also has a line of these as well, but SW's palette goes darker (and they claim any of their colors can be formulated vinyl safe. Do you believe that?). With white as the original color, anything I go with will be darker than original.

I watched a video made by This Old House showing their painter painting vinyl shutters a navy blue. They try to hide the label showing the paint brand, but I was able to get a glimpse and it is BM Regal Moorgard Low Lustre. The painter claims it's perfect for vinyl. I don't see navy blue in the BM Vinyl Color line, so this is what made me wonder if this whole dark color thing is not as big of a deal for shutters as it is for siding.

I'm willing to pick a new color but am really torn on what kind of paint to go with. I want it to a) stick to the plastic, b) be durable in the sun exposure, and c) not warp. It would also be awesome to not spend $70 on a gallon when I probably only need a quart. What is my best option here?

Old 05-12-20, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
If you had black vinyl shutters and wanted to paint them dark I would say no problem. But painting white vinyl is the problem. If they say the color you picked out can be made in vinyl safe, i would believe them, but ask what the LRV is. (Light reflective value). For reference, I think Azek pvc says paints must have a LRV of 55 or higher to be used on their vinyl.

Think of it this way. Imagine what one pair of brand new shutters would cost if you ordered them in the right color. Probably over $100 for a decent heavy pair of PlyGem/Alside/Mastic shutters. Not the cheap crap the box store sells. So for $100/gallon you can paint ALL your shutters for the cost of one pair of new shutters. Decent paint is expensive.

Old 05-13-20, 01:59 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Color is personal preference, a good primer and good paint is key.

Primer!
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...d-vinyl-bonder

And I have always found quarts available!

Old 05-13-20, 03:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I've painted a lot of vinyl shutters over the yrs and never used a primer. The main thing is to make sure they are clean and use a quality latex paint. Never had any adhesion issues. I agree 100% with what X said about color! especially with the cheaper/thinner vinyl shutters.

Old 05-15-20, 06:37 AM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Prepping them is the key to a lasting paint job. Did my shutters in Espresso almost 8 years ago, they still look fantastic.