Blocking question

Old 05-19-20, 11:36 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blocking question

@XSleeper, I notice that you recommend installing 2x4 blocking between studs and behind the replacement siding. It makes sense and, for my house, I've installed blocking where I've replaced the bottom 12-18" of sheathing. Now that I'm working on the garage, I notice that the previous owner either replaced or started with a 12" horizontal strip of sheathing, but they didn't use any blocking between the studs. With 16" OC studs, the wall seems to be pretty rigid without the blocking--which brings me to my question. How important do you think the blocking is; essential or "nice to have"?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-20, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
When you have 4x8 sheet siding and you cut it, it's essential it have blocking since that siding needs to be fastened 8" on center (between the studs).

The same goes for most sheathing if it's laid horizontally. If it's going to be inspected for shear nailing, panel edges must meet fastener requirements on panel edges.

Other types of siding don't need it.

SturdyNail voted this post useful.
Old 05-19-20, 01:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@XSleeper, Good point regarding
The same goes for most sheathing if it's laid horizontally. If it's going to be inspected for shear nailing, panel edges must meet fastener requirements on panel edges.
Whomever built my garage didn't pay any attention to that issue though. All of the sheathing (Aspenite) is laid horizontally--with no blocking (sigh).