Loose Siding

Old 05-25-20, 06:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loose Siding

Hello All,

I am purchasing a rental property and need some advice. The siding is coming loose in about three places, it looks like it's not even nailed in those spots or the nails have come loose. Here are some pictures to showing it. Do I just need to remove all the siding down to the bad spot and re-attach it?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-20, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
On the soffit pieces, you need to pull back tte fascia cover and staple, screw, or nail the front edges of the soffit to the underlying wood fascia.

For the siding, you need to get yourself a Malco Sideswiper, to unlock the pieces of vinyl siding from one another so that you can lift them up out of the way and nail the top edges back down. Use long roofing nails for the siding. Generally you want to unhook them all, then start nailing with the lowest piece first. Vinyl siding needs to be nailed loosely so that it can expand and contract. My guess is that you have some type of fiberboard sheathing that wont hold a nail. You will probably have to find the studs and only nail into them.

Anywhere the siding looks baggy you can zip it open to renail it. Start from the end of the piece with the tool and just slide it in. They are easy to unhook just using your hand too, but you need the tool to zip them back up again. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show how to do it.

And add a couple more pole barn screws to your corner trim that is coming loose from the fascia/roof.

joe187 voted this post useful.
Old 05-25-20, 07:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I will do, I've never messed with siding before so it's all new to me. I will get that tool and start working on it as you said.