Holes in Stucco

Old 05-29-20, 12:18 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Holes in Stucco

Hey there! I am doing some repair work on my side porch & home with stucco siding. Walls are block with a coat of stucco (or equiv) directly on top. House was built in 1940, though I'm not sure if the porch is original.

On the side porch, I was widening some cracks before repairing and eventual painting, and I noticed there are a couple holes through the stucco. It would appear they are man made and intentional as they in very similar spots on opposite sides of the porch. On one side, there is a second hole filled with some fibrous material above one of the open holes. Should these holes be filled? If not, what purpose are they serving?

Additionally, I found a couple holes in the stucco on the side of the house. They are def a point of water entry (fills the block wall and then enters basement between wall and floor). Can they simply be filled or are they serving some other purpose too?

And, lastly, we have a ramp down to our basement. There are block retaining walls on each side that are parged with a flat texture. Again, there are several holes in the top coat. They are more sporadic and generally smaller than the other holes I have found. Are these caused by water erosion? Some sort of insect?

Thanks for your time!

-ace

Last edited by shadow6934; 05-29-20 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-20, 12:26 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Use mortar to patch holes and mimic the texture!

Old 05-29-20, 12:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
If they are just small holes [like drilled for a wire or screw] I'd just caulk them.

Old 05-29-20, 12:45 PM
S
Yeah, I can't figure out for the life of me why they'd be there. So, not for any sorry of weeping/drainage/etc?

The holes in the porch quarter wall are 3/8". The holes in the house (photoed with conduit) are ~1/4". I was planning on using Mor-Flexx for the cracks I'm filling, guessing no reason I can't use it for holes too?

Oh, maybe worth mentioning. The holes are found on the outside side of the porch wall. They do not go all the way through to the inside.

Any comments/feedback about the ramp parge holes?

Old 05-30-20, 07:23 AM
S
Mark, looks like you have a painting background... What is your preferred primer for applications like this? Typically I default to Kilz Premium...

Old 05-31-20, 02:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I seldom use Kilz and never use any of their latex versions. If the stucco has already been painted I usually just spot prime the repairs with the finish paint. While there are some masonry primers available the majority of the time I've just used latex house paint thinned about 10% for primer on new stucco house.

Old 05-31-20, 08:41 AM
S
Thanks for the info. I power washed (old paint flaking off) and removed most of the old paint, so I need to prime the entire wall. Is there a specific primer you like for that application?

Old 05-31-20, 10:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd probably still use latex house paint but I'd add Flood's EmulsaBond to the first coat.