Siding over uneven walls

Old 06-28-20, 09:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding over uneven walls

I'm installing Hardie planks. Below the first course of Hardie, I'm installing a PVC "band-board".
As I am installing the PVC "band-board" on the back of my garage, I see that, if the PVC continues on its current straight line, it will veer at least 1/4" away from the wall [see photo below].

PVC Board goes straight, but wall dives inward.

That's not a terrible thing for the PVC since it bends pretty easily, but the Hardie planks that will be installed above may not be as forgiving. There's also the visually unappealing aspect of having a "wavy" wall.

So, should I try to shim, possible every course, in an attempt to make the finished wall appear straighter? If I shim, I'll have a lot of voids that I fear would provide an ideal home for wasps and other insects.
Or, should I just "hold my nose and my breath" and hope that the Hardie planks can bend enough to follow the surface of the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-20, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
I would probably check it with a string line from end to end (keep it away from the house on each end and measure back) to see if there is something you can easily correct. If its that way all the way up the wall... or if it's only at the bottom.

If it's only at the bottom, it could be that the concrete foundation is crooked but the framing is straight. In that case, the sheathing will bow out if it overlaps the foundation... meaning there might be a void behind the sheathing where it's not naiked tight to the bottom plate and you could cut the sheathing up higher to nail it back.

If it's all the way down the wall you could cut shims to put on all the studs, AKA "rainscreen". So to take a hump out of the wall, if its 1/4" you would just get 1/4" plywood, rip it into 1 1/2" wide strips, and staple it over the studs on each end... when you get close to the hump you might need to rip a few 2x4s down to 1/8" thick... and right at the hump you would have no shim. Screen or a metal flashing can be Installed over the bottom to close it off. But truthfully, you have voids behind lap siding whether you shim the wall or not, so if you think you will keep bugs out you're mistaken. Cement siding is usually blind nailed so the bottom edge hangs loose.

You might find that with the string line that you need some major shims to make it straight. Kind of depends how bad it is and what you find.

If you dont shim, cement siding bends quite easily, so the only issue is that it will look bad when you sight down the wall. (Wavy) But it's the way it has always been since that's the way it was built.

SturdyNail voted this post useful.
Old 06-29-20, 08:34 AM
S
Thanks @XSleeper.
Regading the use of 1/4" ply for shims, I don't think I can buy exterior grade 1/4" ply. Would that be a concern?

Old 06-29-20, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
1/4" or 3/8" cdx. Your wall sheathing is probably cdx. You should be covering it with a WRB so either way it shouldnt ever get wet.

Old 06-29-20, 09:30 AM
S
Thanks @XSleeper.
Maybe one of the lumber yards that caters more to contractors carries 1/4" CDX. I know I haven't seen it at my Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 06-29-20, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
They surely have 1/4" osb.