painting vinyl siding

Old 06-29-20, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
painting vinyl siding

Am considering painting the vinyl siding on my house, planning on using a type of exterior paint that is formulated acceptable for use on vinyl siding. However one of the precautions on the paint instructions says "do not repaint vinyl siding with colors darker than the original color; the siding may warp." Apparently this could happen because darker colors absorb heat more than lighter colors and the vinyl siding may not be able to tolerate that extra heat and could cause it to warp. But I was really hoping to be able to paint my siding from its current original light beige color to a medium gray (obviously darker) with this type of paint. Does anyone happen to know of or experienced this happening? Where I live the hottest summertime ambient temperature is 80. So would the medium gray paint really cause my siding to warp?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-20, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
Go to SWP and get their vinyl safe paint. It's formulated so you can paint vinyl darker than it's factory color. Be sure to clean your siding before you paint.

Old 06-30-20, 05:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
I can recall sweating like mad in the interior so these days even central AK can get hot. In your case the low angle of the sun helps a lot to minimize heating. I would try to keep the color choice as light as possible. As siding heats it will expand and the sections will slide past each other, eventually scraping off the paint in the overlap area. You won't see it in summer but come winter when the siding shrinks you could eventually be left with marks where the pieces overlap.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 06-30-20, 05:35 AM
Received 277 Votes on 258 Posts
Just do your research, this is one project that has a real down side should it fail!

Old 06-30-20, 06:24 AM
J
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
I'm with Pilot on this one.
If you where to paint it now while it's hot out the siding has already expanded, as it get cooler your going to see unpainted areas at every seam.
If your going to do this anyways I find it best to paint the under side of the over laps first, then go back and use a roller the width of the exposure.
Never brush the paint toward the laps, you do not want the paint getting in under them because it may cause the siding to not be able to expand.

Old 06-30-20, 06:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only painted vinyl siding on about a dozen houses. I've always sprayed them. Only remember going back to touch up one [with a brush]

Old 06-30-20, 08:33 AM
Just do your research, this is one project that has a real down side should it fail!
I have done research; I've learned the pitfalls that can happen should the wrong type of paint be used, and about the expansion/contraction of vinyl as has been mentioned in posts here, and read about tips such as painting the undersides of the overlaps and such. There are indeed a few paint manufacturers that offer paint specifically formulated to paint vinyl siding but in my relatively small southeast Alaska community these are not sold locally at the retailers that sell paint. The two paint brands Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams offer these paints as described in the next two following links, and include paint colors, some of them rather dark, which apparently are fine to use to paint darker than the factory color of the vinyl. The last link is to the brand offered for sale here locally (PPG) which can be used to paint over vinyl but has the specific precaution "do not repaint vinyl siding with colors darker than the original color; the siding may warp." So it seems the paint brand formulation for what's available here for sale would be an unacceptable choice in comparison to the other two paint brand formulations.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...as-inspiration

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...r-vinyl-siding

https://buyat.ppg.com/rep_pafpaintto...db/RGP66XX.pdf

Old 06-30-20, 08:37 AM
I can recall sweating like mad in the interior so these days even central AK can get hot. In your case the low angle of the sun helps a lot to minimize heating.
Actually I'm not in the interior but rather in southeast, where the temperatures are moderate without the extreme cold or heat that can happen in other areas such as the interior. As I mentioned the hottest it ever gets is 80 here. I realize my vinyl siding does/will expand and contract based on changes in temperatures here and that the paint brand/formulation will have to be the proper one in that regard, but I'm just unsure whether if a darker color offered in that proper brand/formulation could still result in enough heat absorption into my old cheap vinyl siding to cause it to warp.

Old 06-30-20, 08:40 AM
I've only painted vinyl siding on about a dozen houses. I've always sprayed them
Ok well my plan would be to use a brush and roller.

Old 06-30-20, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I know of several homeowners that brush/rolled their vinyl siding and it seemed to do ok .... not that I've closely inspected their work.

Vinyl siding is temperature rated, that's why with most paints you aren't supposed to go with a darker shade of paint. Changing color without going darker is ok. The vinyl safe paints have changed that.

Old 06-30-20, 09:26 AM
Changing color without going darker is ok. The vinyl safe paints have changed that.
That's what I'd want to be absolutely sure of, in advance of proceeding of course. Apparently that is the case then with the "vinyl safe" paints. I'd have no idea what is the temperature rating of my vinyl siding, nor any way to find it. It is old cheap stuff so probably not particularly anything durable enough to withstand absorption of a lotta extra heat.

Old 06-30-20, 09:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't need to know the exact temp rating. Say your siding is green and you want to paint it blue. As long as the blue isn't darker than the green you'll be ok. With white siding I'd be leery of painting it with anything other than white or a light off white.

Old 06-30-20, 09:47 AM
You don't need to know the exact temp rating. Say your siding is green and you want to paint it blue. As long as the blue isn't darker than the green you'll be ok. With white siding I'd be leery of painting it with anything other than white or a light off white.
I'm leery of going darker too, which is the main point of my discussion here. But with the "vinyl safe" paints at least a few paint companies offer now, it's supposed to be okay, from what I'm understanding from their claims, such as (quoted below from the Sherwin Williams link):

"Until now, there were limitations to painting vinyl. Using a dark color on top of a lighter would cause the substrate to buckle. Your only option was to choose the same color or lighter. No longer."

Plus you yourself have stated in this thread:
with most paints you aren't supposed to go with a darker shade of paint. Changing color without going darker is ok. The vinyl safe paints have changed that.