Fiber Cement or PVC

Old 07-01-20, 01:18 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiber Cement Boards for Rake?

Okay to use fiber cement board for my rakes? I want to use Plycem trim boards for my rakes so I don't have to replace them again anytime soon. I don't see where anyone (I probably just didn't find it) used fiber cement boards on their rakes.

https://www.uslumber.com/MainSite/St...stallation.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-20, 01:35 PM
W
Fiber Cement or PVC

I'm going to replace my fascia and trim with fiber cement or PVC. Does anyone have any experience with both? Any suggestions regarding why I should choose one over the other would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 07-01-20, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
I assume you mean for the rake fascia? Yes, it's fine for that.

Last edited by XSleeper; 07-02-20 at 10:22 AM. Reason: 2 separate threads on same basic topic merged
Old 07-02-20, 04:50 AM
J
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
Why not just have it wrapped with PVC coil stock?

Old 07-02-20, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 522 Votes on 479 Posts
I am no longer a fan of trim stock. I am seeing a lot of delamination (the pretty vinyl layer peeling off) in trim stock 8-10 years old and older. This leaves the option of painting the aluminum trim or replacing it.

Vinyl trim is OK but I have only used it in white and usually left it unpainted. Seeing how much it expands and contracts with temperature changes I'm still in the testing phase to see how it holds up long term. I have had some bowing and gaps on some which I assume was because I did not use enough fasteners.

Cement type trim was my favorite until we had a mild hurricane hit on the NC coast. Previously I loved how it held paint, was dimensionally stable and took paint well. After the mild hurricane hit I was amazed at how much damage it took, quite often snapping off or pulling out leaving the mounting nails still in place. All, while a house next door with wood or vinyl had no damage at all. Again, it could be there simply weren't enough fasteners for those wind conditions.

Old 07-02-20, 10:07 AM
W
Thank you. Yes, I meant for rake fascia.

Old 07-02-20, 10:17 AM
W
Pilot Dane, I was concerned about the potential for the vinyl to expand, bow, etc. Think I'll stick with the fiber cement and be sure to secure well.

joecaption, My soffit and fascia is overdue for replacement. I should have started this 2-3 years ago, LOL. I have some steep and high areas to work on. Been procrastinating hoping it would magically fix itself. I have several areas so bad I couldn't wrap them.

Thank you both for your responses and/or suggestions.