Board & Batten Install

Old 07-15-20, 09:34 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Board & Batten Install

Hi All,
I'm installing board & Btten siding on my new construction. 1x6 rough sawn red pine boards ^ 2.5" batts.
Walls are sheated with OSB and strapped with 1x3. Also has WRB under strapping. I have vinyl windows with brick moulds. My questions....1. Should I install the boards first then the windows and trim out (sealing with flashing, tape, caulk etc)? 2. Should I remove the brick mould?
I'm thinking of triming with 4" boards. At first glance, it looks like if I put the windows in first, the boards will fit behind the brick mould, but the trim will be proud of the windows by almost 3/4"
Pics are examples of what I'm trying to achive.

what extra precautions should I take if i place windows over the boards?

thanks in advance for you replies

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-20, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
It's hard to answer when we cant see your window profile to know the depth of brickmould, location of fin, etc.

My first thought is that if you are going to trim the windows with your b & b that you shouldnt have a brickmold. But you do need a fin.

Old 07-15-20, 10:52 PM
Group Moderator
It's getting late here, but here is what i'm kicking around. I can try to find a detail drawing on it later.

What if you create a batten border around all 4 sides of your window opening. (Imagine no other battens are on the house at this point. ) The battens are on TOP of the WRB. You could then use window flashing tape to seal the face and side of the batten to the WRB. If you install the window fin on top of that, you could then tape over it again on the sides and top. This moves your window and brickmold out 3/4".

Then trim the perimeter of the window with a picture frame style of trim. Over that trim on top you would cut a flap into the WRB and install a z flashing above the top piece of picture frame trim. The depth of that picture frame trim would be equal to or greater than the thickness of the siding + the batten... Provided it is not more than 1/4-3/8" past your brickmold. (So that seam could be caulked and not catch water.) Then your siding goes on around that... And your battens go on over that, and butt up to the picture frame trim. Maintain a 1/4" gap between the z flashing and the siding.

Old 07-16-20, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
Well, now that I got some sleep, and think about this problem again, the simple solution is probably to install and your windows as you normally would, right on the WRB, then just create an L shaped trim to go around them. The first part of the L would either be recessed slightly or just proud of the brickmold so that the resulting corner could be caulked. Then the part of the L that protrudes would create your picture frame perineter. The bottom could be made to look like a sill and apron as in your example photo.

Here is one photo that kind of depicts the way that window perimeter would look. If you want to Google more photos yourself, search for "rainscreen window trim details".

And here is a guy's site that describes one way to do it. In your case, the piece on bottom would need to be deeper and cut at an angle like a sill nose. The side pieces of that L would then land on top of it.