Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Plastic shutter fastener ripped out - large hole in vinyl siding

Old 07-16-20, 03:12 PM
X
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Hey all,

I painted my shutters and will be putting them back on soon. One of the fasteners will have no vinyl to grab onto because there's a rather large hole where the original fastener had been placed. (It was very loose)

What's the best way to fix this? Use some caulk and put the new fastener back in? Use a deck screw then cover it with the plastic fastener cap?

Open to all ideas. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-20, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Hopefully the fasteners would be long enough to screw into the sheathing behind the vinyl siding.

Old 07-16-20, 03:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
I always use long screws when installing shutters over vinyl. Without them you can end up with bigger holes and sometimes cracking when they rip out during a storm. Most home centers have structural screws. I use a small size about 2" long. They are very resistant to corrosion and have a washer built into the head to help prevent them from pulling through the shutter. If you want you can paint the heads so they blend in nicely.

Old 07-17-20, 04:47 AM
B
Received 87 Votes on 76 Posts
If the hole is in the shutter, place a fender washer(s) on the attaching screw before installing. May need multiple washers depending on hole size. Buy a can of spray paint and spray the washers before installing.

Old 07-17-20, 05:05 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Problem with plastic shutter is they flex in the hot sun. I removed mine on the upper floors years ago for just that reason. They never held very well in place. Wood shudders are better. Also a lot depends on what your screwing in to. A brick veneer will not hold, you must screw into the plywood beneath.