Smoothing textured fascia?

Old 07-16-20, 08:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoothing textured fascia?

I've purchased an old brick house with newly installed fascia and soffits made of Miratec composite with a textured wood appearance. I think the "wood" texture is a bit too noticeable so I want to smooth it out. Either getting rid of the texture completely or somehow lessening how visually apparent the fake wood texture is. (It's painted white in an eggshell sheen if that matters) I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion as to how I can smooth out the texture, preferably without killing my arm while holding an orbital sander. Wood filler? Skim coat of caulk? Suck it up and sand like crazy?

Thanks in advance.
-AP

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-20, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Welcome! Unfortunately I have to tell you that what you propose to do is a horrible idea that you just need to put out of your mind. It's quite difficult to sand through paint, and you dont sand the surface of Miratec off. Anything you skim over the top, you will regret in a few years when it starts to peel off in places. You just need to focus your attention on something else. Ask 100 people, 99 will probably say it looks nice.

Old 07-17-20, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I agree! Latex paints don't sand well and the texture is part of the board. Skim coats will fail sooner or later. Multiple coats of paint will lessen the texture to some degree but I'm not suggesting you apply several coats of paint as that can present it's own problems down the road.

As X stated most folks will likely think it looks nice as is AND once you focus your attention on other things that need fixing/changing the odds are the texture/grain will bother you less.

joecaption voted this post useful.