Ready for vinyl siding

Old 07-17-20, 05:58 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ready for vinyl siding

Hi folks. New here and I could use a little help. As the title shows, I will be re siding my house. The house is an over 50 year old bungalow and a 2 x 4 construction with a black sheathing on the outside with aluminum siding stapled directly over the sheathing into the suds. Last year, I got a good deal on XPS rigid insulation 2 x8 x1", enough for the whole house and attached garage. Now I was wondering what would be best:
1- Nail the XPS over the sheathing to the studs, apply a WRB over that and nail the siding into the studs.
2- Remove the sheathing down to the frame, nail in 5/8" thick OSB panels in place of the old sheathing and then put the XPS and siding on. I don't know if the WRB should go on the OSB or the XPS!!
In case anyone asks why I am residing, it is to add a bit of insulation and replace the aluminum that is in really bad shape.
So, what do you think?
Don

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-20, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not the pro here just reading thru.

It can be an awful lot of work to remove the sheathing to install insulation. In my opinion.... it would appear to be more time and cost effective to remove the aluminum siding, install the foam insulation and then re-side.

Old 07-17-20, 11:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
If the exterior walls currently have no insulation I'd have them cut holes in the sheathing and blow in cellulose.

Old 07-17-20, 02:18 PM
R
If the exterior walls currently have no insulation I'd have them cut holes in the sheathing and blow in cellulose.
The walls are insulated with 4" pink insulation. The fiberboard sheathing is also in good shape. It would be easier to nail through OSB cause this fiberboard won't hold nails and that is basically why I was asking if I should replace it. Also, I was told that the max. thickness of rigid foam insulation should not be more than 1" if nailing directly to wood studs but with the sheathing, it totals 11/2".
Don

Old 07-17-20, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Don,

Have you thought about how the added thickness is going to affect your window and door trim? They will all be sunken in unless you have a plan. Just wanted to ask that first.

Old 07-18-20, 07:41 AM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
I would go with option 1.

If the buffalo board is flat then I would not bother replacing it but you will not know that till you get the aluminum siding off.

Be sure to mark your studs so you can transfer them to the house wrap.
Do not use a Sharpie to do this as your lines will disappear after a week or so in the sun.
I know this from personal experience and it is a real pain trying to find them after the wrap is on !!!!

Watch a number of videos on installing it.

If the house wrap does not have horizontal lines then snap chalk lines every couple feet measuring down from the (top) soffit etc.. If it has lines be sure to install it carefully so the lines are correct. Check that you are staying level every couple courses. Then when you get to the top it will be even all the way around the house. Really important if you have two people doing the install, if one person pulls the siding up a bit more than you then when you get to the top you could be a couple inches out.

Old 07-20-20, 05:03 AM
R
Have you thought about how the added thickness is going to affect your window and door trim?
I had them changed last year and anticipated this so they are sticking out about 1 1/2" as it is now.
If the buffalo board is flat then I would not bother replacing it
Then option 1 it will be. Thank you everyone.
Don

Last edited by richdon; 07-20-20 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Fix Quotes