Siding advice/tips

Old 09-04-20, 08:02 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Siding advice/tips

Hi, I am prepping my house to be repainted and replacing some siding with some rot under a window. The house had LP siding which was re-sided over in the late 90's with T11. The one spot with rot you can see in the picture I have already removed, although I am removing and replacing the whole section under the window. I am conflicted on how to proceed and take any opportunity for it to look better than it is. I'm not crazy about the look of the additional foot of siding added to the bottom on the right side of the house and then the 2 2X2's added to look like trim to the left side of the house. How would you proceed?

Right Side of house

Right Side of house

Right side of house

Old 09-04-20, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Well, you can get the 303 fir / plywood siding 8" groove in 9ft panels, if that would help you any. Maybe not from the box store (unless they can special order it) but most any lumber yard could get it for you too. Maybe you could cover up the 1ft pieces that way. But you would probably want to remove the 1ft pieces and put a good nailer down there (tapcon to the foundation) since the panel edges are supposed to he fastened every 8".

That trim and the z flashing are probably shortening the life of the plywood siding.

Old 09-04-20, 09:28 PM
N
Ahh, that makes sense about the Z flashing since it has likely been capturing and holding water. Do you think it would look better to come down with the siding all across the back, i.e. extending to the left side as well? Or do you think new trim without Z flashing would be fine?

Old 09-04-20, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Well, if you wanted to reside the entire side, you could do away with the z flashing, trim and all those 1ft pieces completely. Assuming the 9 ft siding is long enough to work.

Old 09-06-20, 03:06 PM
N
Siding and Trim with uneven foundation

How does one side with an uneven foundation? I am replacing some siding and never liked how uneven it was and now I see why. I don't really want to come down to the lowest level of the foundation but it seems like I have no other choice?

Last edited by NordicMetal; 09-06-20 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-06-20, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
That explains why you had the layer of 1ft pieces on there. Siding is usually stepped to follow a stepped foundation.

Old 09-06-20, 05:54 PM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Sills have no slope inside to outside. Rain, falling or running into the sill will rise until it spills over the vertical lip or leaks out the joint where the sill meets the verticals. Does the sill have any weep holes outboard of the siding? Is the joint where the sill meets the verticals sealed?

Old 09-06-20, 08:49 PM
N
Nope, not sealed and no weep holes. Should I seal with some liquid nails before I repaint the house?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: