Gap under outside door - what would you do?

Old 09-15-20, 05:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap under outside door - what would you do?

The exterior of our house is getting painted so I am trying to do fixes now and not mess up the paint job.

I noticed this gap under the step into our house from the deck. 2 views - 1 side is open, the other side has wood..

Any thoughts on how do deal with the left side with the gap? Cut wood to fit in there like on the right? I can't tell if that wood on the right did run all the way across or just ended soon after going under door.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-20, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
How large a job do you want to make this?

What is behind the area in your photo? Is there flashing behind or do you see tar paper, wood or insulation?

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 09-15-20, 08:03 AM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
There's something very wrong with the way this whole thing was done.
Main one being it sure looks like there's no support under the whole threshold except what some well meaning person stuck in there to prop it up, just making it worst instead of better.
I agree with Pilot, it would be interesting to get a look at this from inside the crawlspace to see why there's what looks like a huge opening in that foundation.
From what I can see if it was mine I'd be removing that whole door to check for hidden rot, removing enough deck boards to be able to climb in there to work.
Likely the sub flooring will have to be cut back , fill in that gap with block, add a pressure treated top plate, install new Advantech sub flooring, Flashing, then a new door.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 09-15-20, 09:25 AM
B
Oh gosh! If not for the paint job I wouoldn't have noticed / taken issue with this gap. Step has no spring / spongyness.

I will look in there later and post a picture.

Old 09-15-20, 11:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
I hate to say it but you should also inspect your siding, rim joist, sill plate and floor joist ends where the deck meets. It's common (and wrong) to just bolt a deck to the side of the house. The deck traps water and moisture right up against the house and is a common cause of rot. If you search images for "how to attach deck to house" you will see many pictures and diagrams how to attach a deck depending on your house's construction. Basically the siding should NOT be between the deck and house. The siding should stop above the deck and there should be flashing between the deck and wood parts of the house.

Old 09-15-20, 01:16 PM
B
@pilot Dane

As always, you are spot on. Funny what you wrote - Did you see my other question about the deck bolted onto the siding and it rotting : ) ???

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...gles-deck.html

'cause you are describing my exact situation in another spot (although, yeah, aftercutting out the rotted shingles yesterday, my wife asked if I am doing the same thing over here by the door. This run doesn't have any rot though. (but yeah... it will).