Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Where do I put flashing where exterior siding meets trim board and brick veneer?

Where do I put flashing where exterior siding meets trim board and brick veneer?

Old 09-19-20, 08:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hi, I am replacing some rotted T1-11 siding. I know to cut it, put paper, z-flashing, etc. What I could not find was what do I do where the T1-11 siding meets this "trim board" that sits on top of the brick "veneer" that goes around the bottom of the house.

Once I do the z flashing for my siding, however far up that is I don't know yet, but once I do that, what do I at the bottom? Do I put more flashing and put it over that bottom wood trip that sits on the brick? Do I get rid of that trim board and put more flashing between the bottom of my new piece of T1-11 siding and the brick (new piece that I replaced rotted piece with, where I cut some off and put the two pieces of siding together with z)?

I am thinking maybe I should get rid of that piece altogether and have flashing there that goes over the brick somewhat. That would give me z flashing where my cut out siding meets the siding on the existing wall and z flashing at the bottom.

https://imgur.com/gallery/okQA9AO

See that bottom piece of wood that sits between the T1-11 siding and the brick? Does that go away and I put flashing? Do I put new wood there with flashing? Do I put siding, flashing, then that trim board that will sit on the brick?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-20, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Yes, get rid of it and flash the brick with metal. Run a bead of sealant on the clean brick, then press the flashing into it.

Old 09-20-20, 04:00 AM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
This is for stone work but essentially the same!