New siding over old: question about nailing schedule

Old 09-20-20, 10:24 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question New siding over old: question about nailing schedule

I am finally finishing the residing of the back side of my house. It originally had cedar lap siding and then they applied cedar shake shingles over that. I removed all the shingles and am going to put beveled cedar 1x8 siding over the original siding (I already did this on other parts of the house, redoing all the 5/4 trim too) and there's also 3/4" plywood on a newer addition. I am applying with stainless 7d ring shank nails using a coil gun and the final look will have a 6" reveal.
So my question is about nailing, do I need to worry about hitting studs? I already have the Tyvek stapled over the old siding and remembered, shoot, I didn't mark where the studs are. I could cut some of it away to find the studs and then mark it all (220 sf) but now wondering if it really matters since the original siding is totally secure. I also wanted to double check that where I put the nails 1" from the top edge and 3/4" from the bottom on the exposed board is correct.
So 3 questions:
Nail to studs?
Nailing schedule for each board?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-20, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
You never double nail cedar clapboard siding... it has to be able to expand and contract, or it might split (if it shrinks) or cup (if it expands). So you don't nail the top edge at all. Nail the bottom edge only.

So if you want 6" exposure and your siding measures 7", you would nail it at least 1 1/8" above the bottom edge so that the nail isn't double nailing each row. (Each nail must clear the row below it)

And you can use a cheap magnetic stud finder to locate the nails through the tyvek. It would be best if you nailed to the studs. You don't want your exposed nails to be all over the place.

drumz voted this post useful.
Old 09-20-20, 02:10 PM
D
It's primed, a contractor did 75% and I helped with every board, cut every one of them and did a quarter of the nailing. We nailed the top @ 3/4 and the bottom between 1 and 1.5" and we have a perfect 6" using 1x8. Only one nail is exposed, the bottom one. The contractor has 35 years experience and the house and siding work is top notch. I just can't remember the all of it because we did it 2 years ago and I'm old and forget ****. The technique for each row save the bottom which is reversed and 2" cut from fat side and fat side down, we then nail 3/4" from top and 1" from bottom and then @16" - we did the whole house that way.
Since the original siding is already secure, are finding the studs that important? I can tear some of the Tyvek off and measure the studs, too many old shingle nails for a stud finder which I have.

Old 09-20-20, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
https://www.realcedar.com/siding/ins...rofiles/bevel/

Left illustration. Nails are supposed to penetrate into 1 1/4" of solid wood.

You don't double nail clapboard. Not surprised he didn't know that. Tyvek also has a poor track record behind cedar. But that's a different topic.

Old 09-21-20, 08:41 AM
D
Perfect, thanks for that, guess I misremembered, one nail and stud locating.
Appreciate your time and effort!