Exterior trim and siding online

Old 09-24-20, 01:48 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Exterior trim and siding online

Looking to by vinyl trim and siding preferably online. ABC Supply doesn't let me register to its web site as I'm not a contractor. Can't buy directly from manufacturers such as CertainTeed either.
Can also go to the store with, say, a showroom near Philadelphia.
Thanks,
Kris

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-20, 03:24 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Can you go to show room, sure, as a contractor, you will need papers for tax exemption to qualify as contractor.

You tying to scam the system!!

Old 09-24-20, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
Your retail websites will be home depot and Lowe's.

Old 09-25-20, 03:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
When I bought the vinyl siding for my son's addition I went to one of the vinyl siding supply houses in the area. While I'm sure we paid more than the contractors that have an account with them, I thought the pricing was reasonable. They have a lot bigger color/style selection than our local Lowes or Home Depot.

Old 09-25-20, 02:30 PM
K
To Marq1:
Do you understand what I'm asking? I'm looking for a way to buy online a quality vinyl such as CertainTeed for example. I'm also willing to go to a supply store with showroom, which you're calling a scam? Who says I'm going to pretend that I'm a contractor? To the contrary, I visited one showroom and talk with salespeople as a homeowner doing a project.
Get yourself together man.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 09-25-20, 02:52 PM
C
Received 97 Votes on 76 Posts
I have also run into the "we only deal with contractors" problem. To me that is the real scam. That system allows suppliers to hide their prices from consumers so that contractors can charge pretty much what they want.

Old 09-25-20, 03:23 PM
K
As much as I like Home Depot and Lowes, it's not that their offer is satisfactory in all departments. I'm a handy man and have higher expectations sometimes. You can buy variety of stone or lumber from different suppliers, purchase electrical or plumbing materials etc. so I couldn't believe that buying vinyl was going to be such a pain.

Old 09-26-20, 05:22 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
Even though I don't agree with the "sell to contractors only" there are reasons for it. Contracts with retailers are one reason as are reasonable price, territory, and customer restrictions on dealers are others. Manufacturers can impose restrictions and/or benefits to the consumer by selling only to contractors. For a full explanation see this site
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/comp...cturer-imposed

Maybe not the same but Weber Grills is a typical example. They will not allow any retailer to adjust pricing or promote a sale on their product. Their price is set by contract and a retailer cannot change it for any reason.

IIRC I believe Grainger's does not allow over the counter sales to non-contractors (that may have changed).

TESLA is not allowed to sells cars directly to consumers in most states. They must go through a dealer. Think how much our cost of a car could be reduced if we did not need to buy through a dealer.

If you are a small retail business with a very specific line of product, your lively hood would depend on this practice to stay in business.

BTW...did any of you know that SHOP-VAC is out of business? They suddenly closed their doors without warning. We received a memo at work about it. Tried going to their web site. No can do.

Old 09-26-20, 09:44 AM
C
Cub Cadet is another manufacturer that sets their selling price. That's different than a supplier that sells only to contractors and the consumer can't tell what they are paying for materials.

Old 09-26-20, 01:01 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Can't buy directly from manufacturers such as CertainTeed either.
Get yourself together man.
I'm as together as one can be!

Just reading your comments, have seen many, many times people wanting to cut out the middle man to save a few pennies!

Old 09-26-20, 02:39 PM
T
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
people wanting to cut out the middle man
Being a contractor and thus qualifying as a "middle man" guarantees you nothing that's why the phrase "cutting out the middle man" came to be. I've even had a bad experience with a "certified installer" who apparently slept through the training.

Grainger's does not allow over the counter sales to non-contractors (that may have changed)
Maybe different rules in different regions however up until a year ago (found a better supplier) I regularly bought from any Grainger without issue. Cash/CC sale. I do know the price is higher for the same item than when I used my corporate account. Regarding ABC Supply, I have a local outlet and buy from them no issue. No "contractor" ID needed. Maybe I look the part .

Old 09-26-20, 05:13 PM
C
Except it isn't pennies, more often thousands. In any case this thread is simply about a guy that wants to buy a product without paying a contractor 20% (or more) pass through.

Old 09-28-20, 09:04 AM
K
In my opinion there is enough people who are not able to perform even simple work and are in need of contractor help so Mr. Marq1 shouldn't worry about "few pennies" to make.
As for "pro work" I'm very skeptical and have limited trust for it based on my experience. Just to name a few: while doing home projects I've found that my replacement windows were installed by the contractor ************ with no insulation (too time consuming and time is money, right?), my new driveway started cracking and sinking one year after being replaced by local contractor ***********.
That's why it's essential to choose well, which, in my opinion is the most difficult part. I'm not saying that it's always bad but convinced that doing something for myself I would never compromise on quality.

Last edited by XSleeper; 09-28-20 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Badmouthing businesses is unnecessary
Old 09-28-20, 03:42 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
I don't think there is anybody here, pros or not who have not been ripped off at least once. That's part of life. Being able to recover and learn from it is the real benefit of such doings. And we can't be an expert in all things. We may be very knowledgeable in several areas but sooner or later you put your trust in the guy or gal who says they can help you. And you hope for the best.

Hell, I bet even Hal and Marq have gotten taken once or twice!