Stucco, foundation and grading

Old 10-08-20, 09:38 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco, foundation and grading

We recently purchased a home and after removing the mulch next to the house we noticed there is a dip in the dirt as the dirt reaches the foundation of the house. There is then what looks like a second set of cinderblocks that were used as part of the stone decoration that makes the first few feet of the siding about 6" wider than the rest of the siding to the width of these blocks. The strange thing is you can put your hand all the way up the center blocks. My question is can I fill in the dip all the way up to the start of the stone to create better drainage? Or will that create moisture issues? Please see the pictures below and thanks for your help!

Corner or house. You can see where the dirt dips and there is space under the second set of blocks (close up)

Corner or house. You can see where the dirt dips and there is space under the second set of blocks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-20, 01:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
What part of the country do you live in? [ype of climate] Do you have a basement, crawlspace or is the house on a slab?

Old 10-08-20, 02:46 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. We live in Minnesota with a basement

Old 10-09-20, 02:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I thought maybe it was a slab with the block overhanging it but a basement rules that out. I'd be leery of backfilling with dirt if the voids inside the block are accessible. I'd be afraid it would allow insects an easy path in. I don't know what the best fix would be hopefully someone that knows more than me will respond.