Working on chimney at high height

Old 10-14-20, 04:23 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Working on chimney at high height

Hi Siding Experts,

I've been replacing weathered siding on my house and now what's left is high up on my chimney It's about 25' to the top. I've been reading about scaffolding and lifts. I'd like to use a scissor lift like the GS-1930, but it weighs 3400 lbs and all I have near that chimney is unleveled dirt. I've also looked at some booms like the one Home Depot rents, a JLG T350. That boom might require me to take out a tree and I'd have to have some of it in the street I think. The scissor lift looks best to me, but not sure how to prepare the ground to safely use it? My thoughts were to just level it with a pick and shovel and add some gravel. Maybe throw a sheet of 3/4 plywood over it and make sure it doesn't budge. Does that sound like something you'd like to risk your life on? Maybe there is a more appropriate scissor lift for this job? What's the right way to do this job? Call in a construction company?

Thanks,
Brett

I was able to fix the stuff on the roof side, but not the short side over half the roof. Hoping to do those from the lift and the long side facing the street. You can see some of the termite repairs I did above. Want to finish the siding so I can paint the whole house.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-20, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Scissor lifts need VERY firm, even and level ground. I wouldn't recommend using one there.
That JLG T350 should work for your application.
It may take several moves but should be able to get complete coverage.
You will need boards under the outriggers.

JLG T350

Old 10-14-20, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
You should not use a scissors lift on the lawn or on plywood, it is only to be used on level concrete. I don't see any reason that you could not use a drivable or towable boom lift. And I don't see any reason to trim branches unless you want to... they shouldn't be close enough to rub on the house in the first place.

Old 10-15-20, 05:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
I agree. NEVER use a scissor lift on anything but a smooth, level, paved surface. Long ago I was in a factory under construction when a man was killed on one.

I would rent a towable boom lift like the JLG you mentioned. They are pretty maneuverable so you can probably make it work without removing any trees. Here is the spec .pdf for that lift. At the bottom is a chart that shows it's reach at varying heights. Judging by your photos it's probably a good choice to rent.

Old 10-19-20, 09:03 PM
B
Thanks for all your thoughts and recommendations! I agree that ground just doesn't look good for a scissor lift. I love those JLG lifts but once it has to go in the street it becomes a big deal. I need to get an encroachment permit from the city. I probably need one just to block the sidewalk, but I feel less guilty about that. I see some of these Genie lifts can fit on the sidewalk facing my chimney and don't need to be in the street. The Z30/20 for example looks good. https://stevensoncrane.com/wp-conten...020N-specs.pdf They make one I think with tires more appropriate for outdoor work. The sidewalk there is just over 5' wide and the ground could be leveled on my side some if I wanted it to face my property. It slopes away at less than 5 degrees which I think is half what this boom can handle. However, I think I can just have it pointing down the sidewalk and turn it towards my chimney. I have to double check all this. The other issue is this lift is 11,000 lbs were the JTLG 350 is only 3,400. I suppose that's why the Genie doesn't need outriggers. 11,000 lbs on a small part of the sidewalk sounds like a lot to me. I would also need to make sure I don't drive the Genie off the curb. I'd really love something that doesn't need to go in the street. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 10-19-20, 09:19 PM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
That's what pump jacks are made for.

Old 10-19-20, 10:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
That Genie lift is very similar to a scissor jack in that it's heavy and also needs to be on firm and level surface. Plywood over sand isn't going to hold it up.
I don't believe that is a good choice for your application.

Old 10-20-20, 03:55 PM
B
I agree, but I think I can do it all from the sidewalk with this lift. its width is less than the sidewalk. It's one of their narrow models. I'll point it lengthwise and then rotate the turntable. This one weighs 8000 lbs. I see lots of pictures of this model used outside. The tilt on the sidewalk is getting close to the 4.5 degrees in the manual (4.7" over 5'), but my quick measurement seemed less - using a board and a bubble. The problem with the T350 is it will extend out beyond where even a parked car would be.

https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/48WH87_1.pdf

I'm also reading about "Rough Terrain" scissor lifts. Some of those can be used on slopes. Haven't found a model yet. It would be nice to do the work all from my own property and not have to go through the permit process with the city.

Last edited by bapgobears; 10-20-20 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add