Removing Stucco Exterior Accents

Old 12-01-20, 10:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Stucco Exterior Accents

I have hated these since we moved in 4 years ago. They need to go. How would I even begin? Can I just chip them off and patch the stucco? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Old 12-01-20, 12:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums Suzi!
Do you know what they are made of? if it's just stucco covered stryfoam you could chip them off but often they are formed lightweight concrete piece which is stuck to the wall with mortar - that would require more care so you don't cause damage.

Old 12-01-20, 05:06 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Yes, they are likely foam adhered with mortar or mastic. If they are lightweight concrete they are adhered with mortar and maybe some anchors of some sort. If you tap on them you should be able to tell is they are foam or cast.
IMPORTANT Protect the window.
A wide chisel and a good rap from a side should pop them off. If they are foam and come off intact good. If they are cast and come off intact be careful and don't let them fall and hurt you or something important.
Better they come off and leave a divot than a hump or ridge you might have to chisel again or grind.
Other than protecting the window this is not something to be afraid of. Let us know what you do and how it goes.

Old 12-15-20, 10:14 AM
T
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Are the "shutters" done the same way? It just occurred to me that this could be synthetic stucco. The best known brand is DRYVIT. There are other brands. This is a thin coat of fiberglass mesh embedded in an acrylic based Portland cement material with an acrylic finish. It should still come off easily. If the material behind the shapes is damaged it can be easily repaired. Let us know what you find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: