Help repairing vinyl siding

Old 01-13-21, 01:10 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help repairing vinyl siding

I'm not sure where to start with what the issue is here. I took pictures & sent it to a handyman company & they said it would be $450 to fix this. I know nothing about siding, but it looks like it just needs to be nailed back in, right?

I don't even have a ladder to get up there, but would be willing to buy one if it can save me the funds.

Can someone help point me in the right direction of this?

Old 01-13-21, 03:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Have you ever been up on your roof? Have you climbed the roof all the way to the peak? I think your willingness to do the job yourself might change if you got up there. I assume it's also probably why the siding installation wasn't done properly the first time.

Fixing the siding is a simple job... once you get up there. I assume the difficult location is a big reason for the handy man's cost. Even if you bought a ladder where would you stand it? The repair is directly above your steeply pitched roof so no level place to stand a ladder. Not a beginner place to be working if you have no experience high on a ladder.

Old 01-13-21, 04:03 PM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
And to expand a bit more about the repair needed once you get up there.

The white material along the edge of the sagging siding is the "J" channel, that is nailed to the wall and then the siding is inserted between them and also nailed to the wall.

Why the entire section, with all the nails, has come loose as one large piece is interesting and worrisome. Has to be an issue with the wall that all those nails came loose at the same time.

Might be a bigger job than just re-nailing the siding back up!

Old 01-13-21, 04:30 PM
C
Received 122 Votes on 97 Posts
I'm assuming that you don't have any issues that would preclude you working on a roof. I don't see the height of the repair as a problem. The roof pitch below the repair is not severe. I would just ladder up and then stand on the roof. A ladder leveler would take care of the pitch on the main roof.

My concern is why did it come apart this way? Was it incorrectly nailed to start with or is there a problem with the wall itself. If it were me I would at least climb up there to investigate the cause of the failure. Once you do that you can decide what has to be done and if you can DIY it or how much a reasonable repair might cost. Just be aware that a lot of these "handyman service" companies are typically way more expensive than hiring a local handyman.

Old 01-13-21, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
On roofs like that, I will just buy a few 2x4s and make a ladder than will hook/hang over the peak. It lays on the roof beneath your feet and gives you something for your feet to brace against, and you can set tools down without them rolling away.

They also make ladder roof hooks that you can use with an Osha approved ladder.

My guess is that they probably siliconed the top several rows together and if so, getting the old pieces apart might be tough.

But yes, in a nutshell you just need to renail (or screw) the pieces back on. If you use screws, use truss head screws, and don't screw them down tight. Same with nails... you can fasten j-channel tight to the house but the siding itself needs to be loose so that it can slide left and right (expansion and contraction). So your nails/screws should be 1/8" loose, not driven tight. And when you fasten the siding, put the fasteners in the center of each slot.

Old 01-14-21, 08:36 AM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a buddy who is going to help me get up there.

Assuming there are no problems with the wall ... Once I'm up there, do I screw / nail the white part to the wall or the tan part? Or do I attach them both?

And if I do attach them exactly where would be the best place to do it (Ie. at the top of the A)?

Old 01-14-21, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
You should disassemble the top 2 pieces of double 5 siding, removing them. (Tan) The very top piece is likely just a very small triangle that is caulked on with silicone. As I said earlier, they may have used silicone to glue several of those top pieces together where they interlock (thus explaining why it blew off... no nails)

You will fasten the j-channel (white) through the slots that are provided for nailing.

Then you will fasten the pieces of siding (tan) one at a time, putting fasteners in the center of the slots that are on top. Then use silicone to glue the very top triangle in place as you push it up tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: